Stopping breastfeeding

Emmamb

Reaction score
How did u do it? Did u just stop and give a bottle or wean them off gradually,what worked for u? How did baby react?

Today kieron has had every other feed from a bottle but he's not takin from my boob aswel,he's fussing and it's gettin us both worked up so think he'l b better with just bottle.

After 2 horrendous nights in hospital with sam screaming at me and him feeding sometimes twice an hour from me, when i got home i made the concious decision to stop breastfeeding. Id tried expressing and was only getting 30ml at a time, which wasnt enough to satisfy him as hes a very hungry baby. I Just stopped and gave bottle straight away and he took to it with no problems xxx

I tried the gradual approach But it was very stressful for us both and Tegan didn't understand why she couldn't have Booby all the time so in the end i went cold turkey But expressed so i didn't get engorged, Tegan was a bit upset for the first 2 days and kept looking for Boob But she's fine now zu

I swapped a breastfeed for a bottle every couple of days. Zac got very constipated so I would take it slower if I had to do it again, good luck xxx

I kind of stopped gradually over a few days givin bottles of expressed, formula and breastfeeding some feeds. then once all my expressed ran out i just bottle fed. He took to it really quickly and loves it now. x

I've just tried givin him a breastfeed and he sucked then let go as soon as milk started to flow so it just swuirted all over us both and took a while for me to get him to take anythin and he went to sleep after a few sucks anyway :( he kinda chokes on my milk aswel (cos of the fast flow I think) he did it this evenin and last night,it sounds like he's suffocating when he does it. So looks like it's gonna be a fairly abrupt stop.

But they say 6 weeks before you are established? Wouldn't you wanna keep trying as it does calm down? Mine was like that too, but now it's so much better in the last few days. X

I'm just too tired to carry on-with the others I bf for 8 and 13 weeks but I didn't have a v demanding 4yo to look after aswel. He's decided not to settle at night so I'm tired in the day makin me v snappy with the other kids and hubby. I've tried expressing so dh can give him a feed but he still wants feeding from me an hour later. For my own sanity I need to stop xx

hun, i couldnt cope with breastfeeding because me n zzak were both ill. we both had thrush and i got swine flu n zak had broncilitis so we stopped and it was the best thing we ever didf for both of us. i was hating feed times as it was such haed woek. Since being on the bottle, I feel so much happier and so is zak, his weight gain is brilliant, hes 13lb 4 now at 10 weeks. he sleeps brilliantly, almost every night, hes sleeping 9- 10 hours straight and me and him have bonded so much better. and its so lovely seeing other people like his grandparents and his daddy feeding him. LOVE it so much. Whatever ur reasonings, breastfeeding is not best if u and baby r unhappy, the most important thing is that u r both happy and bottle feeding has certainly done that for me and zak. he will be fine goin straight on the bottle, the difference in a baby being full up and a baby whose hungry is so unbelievable. Its ur decision and if u want to go for bottle feeding then just do it dont listen to anyone else, u know deep down whats best. xx

look at all the typo errors sorry hun hope u understand that x

I can see a difference in Lucy now she is getting bottle seems that she is happier so can only be a good thing and like others have said you need to do what's right for you Hun xxx

Well last night didn't go too badly (I actually feel like I've had sleep) he had a bottle at half 6 then a tiny bit of boob at half 9 and then fed at half 11,half 2,woke at half 4 but refused a feed then just started stirring now. I've just gotta get used to how big his feeds need to b (5oz I think) and how often to offer cos we had a lot of wasted milk last night x

My boobs squirt with every feed so I just quickly put my finger over the nipple while he coughs lol then seconds later he's back on :)

You've done well getting this far with other children to look after too! If u gradually stop bf it will be better for your boobs. Stopping all of a sudden would just make them fill up and ache.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back