Jodie_2013

Reaction score
What's everyone getting? Heard
Good things about them all???!!!

Wondering whether to get electric,
Microwave or cold water.

X

Oh hi there buddy,

So my plan.. I'm aware it might not be possible, but.. I'd love to breast feed podge and express 2 bottles a day for the oh to feed. I know a few men who have felt a little left out. I figured this way we can have the best of both.

I haven't bought anything yet as I want to get the scan out the way, but I was thinking of getting the closure to nature range.. Oh and ill be getting a microwave steriliser for that.

Xxxx

Hey there buddy!!!!

Yes I'm planning on a similar routine. To exclusively breastfeed for first few weeks and express a few bottles a day for OH. Really don't want him feeling left out, and I don't want him sleeping through everything haha!!!

Everyone has been saying microwave. What are your reasons for this hun? The electric ones are so big and bulky!!! We will be buying ours mid July I reckon.

Ps morrisons have an offer on closer to nature bottles reduced from £21.00 to £9.99 I think?! Xxxx

Microwave!
It's so quick and easy, I just pop mine in once a day. Wouldn't be without it.

Seems everyone Is saying this Frankie...think we will end of going with microwave. X

We have the MAM one and really pleased with it...it holds loads but not too big and it can be used as a microwave or cold water steriliser xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I have both... lol. my god parents brought me a microwave one and BFs mum brought us the tommii tippee electric one... it was the one from babies are us with all the bits with it.

so I was gonna use the microwave one for when I stay away from home as its easier to travel with. :)

xxx

I have a steriliser from the Closer to Me range, brand new never taken out of the box to sell. If anyone is interested?
I've only got a spare because my husband and my parents both bought them for us, and we didn't get round to taking one back.

I bought an Avent microwave steriliser as I plan on bottle feeding so want something quick :)

Plus it only cost £8 as opposed to the normal £30 as I know someone who bought a load in bulk while they were on sale to put on ebay at full price but I got mine at price she paid for it ;) xx

Thanks for all his advice girls. Does anyone have any opinions on cold water ones? When I worked on labour ward we used cold water ones and they seemed ok? X

Yeah, I used the cold water one with my LO and plan on using it again. It's very easy to use and all the stuff stays sterile for the 24 hours that it's in there. The sterilizing tablets are pretty cheap as well.

I had an electric one, but if you read all the stuff that goes with it, once you lift the lid off the sterilizer, the stuff inside is no longer completely sterile. This means you can take a bottle out to use there and then, but would need to re-sterilize what is left to use later.

Ella I didn't know this!!!! This may sound silly but do u have to have some
Kind of tongues to pick up the bottles
And stuff with as in the hospital we used
To take the bottles
Out with our fingers but then surely this isn't hygienic???
Thanks for this advice Ella x

Right I'm confused so an electric steam steriliser sounds like where I might be heading after Doing my research however it stays sterile but once opened it doesn't so does that mean every bottle I want to make up I have to do it separately as we're now advised not to pre make bottles in advance does this make sense? Xxx

Lol this issue confuses everybody!

But here's what I do. I sterilise in the microwave 4 bottles at a time (this is the amount we use in 24 hours). I leave them sealed inside the steriliser until I'm ready to make up the first one. Then the spare 3 I take out and put together with lids on tightly, in my mind this at least keeps the insides from picking anything up but I may be wrong. Then I put them all back inside the steriliser, seal it and leave it sat on the work top until I'm ready for another. It's the only way I can think of to keep them as sterile as possible without sterilising single bottles immediately before use. Professionals may disagree but it's worked for us.

When I was in the hospital they gave us a cold water steriliser to use and I hated it. The smell of the sterilising solution was sooo strong even after bottles had been removed for a while. Really put me off.

Thanks for this Frankie so confusing!!!! So do you think some people sterilise single bottles??? This is mad lol!!!

I've gone off the idea of cold water just because apparently you have to rinse them in boiling water afterwards...because I'm really going to do this at 3am with a crying baby. Even though hoping to breastfeed you never know x

I also hoped to breast feed but it didn't work out. I'm determined to try again this time but I won't be so devastated if we end up on formula again.

If you thought sterilising was complicated think about how to make up feeds when you're out and about places with limited resources/time and how to organise having one ready in the middle of the night with a baby screaming the house down when most formula manufacturers recommend boiling a kettle, wait 20 mins before pouring into bottle, mix with powder then cool in a jug of cold water. Who the hell has got the time or energy for that at 2am?

Omg I'm stressing out!!!!! Breastfeeding sounds so much more easier!!!! Oh god I cant cope already haha x

Lol even breast feedings not as straight forward as it sounds but this is why pf is fab. The baby and toddler and feeding sections cover all of these issues x

I've gone off the idea of cold water just because apparently you have to rinse them in boiling water afterwards...because I'm really going to do this at 3am with a crying baby.

It is perfectly safe to use bottles straight out of the cold water sterilizer. All boxes of Milton tablets state not to rinse them. My LO had her dummies straight out of the sterilizer too. Milton is perfectly safe.

As for picking the stuff out of the sterilizer - if you wash your hands with an antiseptic soap before hand, you don't need tongs. Don't touch the tip of the teat either. I used to use a pair of rubber gloves as I have bad dermatitis. These were only used for washing up and sterilizing LO's stuff.

Making up feeds in the middle of the night is an absolute nightmare! I don't intend on doing that again. We will be getting cartons for nighttime. Bit more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I really hope to be able to breastfeed this time, but had virtually no milk come in last time, so not overly confident.

Thanks for this Ella so Milton is safe not to be rinsed then? If this is the case im liking cold water but so many women stated they sterilised them and then boiled them?!

As long as I can take it straight out and not bother rinsing think I'd prefer that. It just worries me as
I'm a germ freak and don't like the idea of opening the lid on the steamer one and everything being unsterile then.

Frankie thanks for this lovely advice you have given me.
You've opened my eyes lol.

Good idea Ella on ready made cartons during the night. Like you said a hell of a lot easier at 3am with a crying baby and a snoring OH xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back