Sterilisers...

You definitely don't need to rinse the bottles when they come out of the Milton. I guess some might want to rinse them as Milton does have a smell to it, but it's perfectly safe for babies. The smell is worse when you open the lid, just because it's been enclosed!

We had awful nights with the powder formula as we tried making it up quicker than suggested on the tin and then it goes all lumpy - there was one incident (known as "the night of a thousand teats"), in which we got through ALL the teats in the Milton as they kept getting blocked!!! Cartons are not cheap, but when you have a screaming baby they are worth their weight in gold! We didn't use them because our LO was on special formula (GP was reluctant to prescribe cartons) and it would have meant giving her different formula at night.

Ella I love this! 'night of a thousand teets' bless u!!!!
Well when I worked on labour ward I remember the smell and we never ever rinsed them!!!
Oh think I'm going for cold water now with hope to BF but I'm going to buy a tin of formula and a few cartons just incase!!!!

Your advice has been fab! X

No problem! It's a massively steep learning curve!!! I hope you're able to breastfeed like you want to.

I think its silly rules have changed but i bottle fed the first three of mine in 1999, 2001 and 2002. I used to steam sterilize add the amount of just boiled water, id sterilize the powder scoop thingy, and once dry add my three premeasured amounts of powder to it. Id then use these bottles once cold with mypowder , just tip and go, they change rules all the time, butnever hurt any of mine. I breastfed for a year last time and hope to again but if i had to again id microwave sterilize or cold water and do the same again. No warming up, stuff by the bed at night, or in bag, no chilling or warming required, baby gets used to what you give it.

I used cold water in hosp for expressing stuff as had section and could have stuff on my bed table and microwave at home , no descaling needed and quicker. I used to have it open on drainer and wash upand add bottles etc in as you go. Ad soon as full add water and bung in microwave, leave lid on till needed.

Jodie it will muck about with your milk supply to get more than a bottle expressed each day if feeding bf too and not solely expressing. i struggled with one bottle, my boobs went berserk i was like a dairy cow, think my body thought ramp it it, it must be twins!!

Last edited:
JJ thank you so much for this advice.
I've decided to go with cold water steriliser for now. Who knows I could change my mind haha just seems a lot better for my
OCD germ phobe lol!!!
As with BF'ing I just wanted OH to help with the occasional night feeds but what do I know I've never done this before? I just assumed all would be ok. We used to advise women at work to exclusively feed
For 3 weeks then expressing as and when you need
To shouldn't be a problem but I don't want to be producing double the amount of milk haha so will bear your advice in mind. Thanks JJ its so appreciated to have your advice especially with you having little one's I just feel a bit like I have no idea what im doing lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back