Starting new job- 10 weeks gone- HELP!!!!

rhiancatrin

Reaction score
hello there, my name is Rhian and I'm new to the forum. I have a six year old, an 18 month old and I am now 10 weeks gone on my third. I'm so worried, and could really use some help. I was offered my dream job seven weeks ago (at which point I had no idea I was pregnant as it was not planned) and I am still waiting to clear security and receive a start date. I'm terrified that they will get rid of me as soon as they find out. As it happens, they do emphasise the fact that they are an 'equal opportunities employer' and have sent me a pretty hefty policy statement. Also, they didn't ask any questions relating to my personal life/employment history as both the application form and interview were competency based only. I am really worried though as we need the money. I even booked in for a termination but couldn't go through with it. I can't stop crying, so any advice would be really appreciated. :(

Thanks

I don't think they can terminate your employment because you are pregnant, I don't think they could even turn you down fr the job at interview if you were the best candidate, its sex discrimination. So long as you have signed contracts etc, you should be fine.

Hi Rhian,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Your new employer can definitely not fire you for being pregnant, however your real issue will be whether you qualify for SMP or not.

To qualify for SMP you must have 26 weeks continuous service by the end of the 15th week before your baby is due. This roughly means that as long as you started the job before you became pregnant, and you have worked for at least a day or part of a day in each week since then, you will meet the service requirement.

Taken from this website, which has some brilliant resources on your rights and benefits etc.

I hope this helps. Maybe worth talking to your local CAB or ACAS for some impartial employment advice before you break the news to your new employer to ensure that you are fully up-to-date on your rights.

Valentine xxx

Thanks. I already realised that I will most likely not get SMP, only maternity allowance. This doesn't bother me so much- the thought of getting the elbow does though.

There is no way they could get rid of you now, in this day and age any employer who tries anything like that would end up at an employment tribunal quick sharp.

Congratulations and Welcome by the way :D

If you're in the UK, you don't have to tell them until you're 14 weeks either.

Hi There

Dont worry - I did the same! I did not know when I started and then panicked when I found out.

My employer has been fantastic - I had sleepless nights before I told them! Maternity Allowance is all I am due but I have just had to plan for that.

Its unlikely they will get rid of you, I work for a huge organisation and when I told my boss he said to me (yes HE!!!) 'when I took you on I took you on for the long term. You still have a long term future here - this is just a gap in the middle.'

Please please don't worry, relax, get through TRI 1 which is hard enough in itself and PM me if you want any more detail/ info/ support

Lots of :hug:

G x

thanks for this, im currently ttc, but i am starting a new job in july, i was so scared that they would sack me if i got pregnant in the next couple of months!!!xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back