Spotting between periods - an update

Bambi42

Reaction score
So my usual GP is back full time and I got to see her. Last month I spotted from ovulation all the way to my period so enough is enough. My GP asked why I'd put up with it for so long (I explained every doctor has dismissed it) and she agreed that something isn't right and needs investigating. Hallelujah!

So I had a smear test yesterday (8wks wait for the results!) and when my next period starts she's taking bloods to check hormones. (They did this after the first chemical too) I am so happy that they are finally going to look into this but its ridiculous that its taken me 18 months to get someone to listen. I never had this issue until after my first chemical and I'm convinced its the reason for our unexplained fertility.

Worryingly she also said that because it was private clinics (we're too old to get help on the NHS) that did my fertility tests they will only have checked for things relating to IVF rather than a full MOT for general women's health. I'm sharing this because I've really struggled and probably needed to be more pushy with the locum GP's I've seen in the past who dismissed me and told me 'to relax'.

I know some women have spotting a few days before AF shows up and that's totally normal but mine is excessive. I asked what it could be and she said a number of things from endometriosis, fibroids, polyps or dysfunctional uterine bleeding (I don't even know what that is) but she said its best to get it fixed before I get pregnant.

Has anyone had dysfunctional uterine bleeding? If so what do they do to fix it?

My other positive news is that 3 months after our failed IVF my hair has finally stopped falling out. I have no bald patches just very thin hair. But my hairdresser is now willing to dye it so next week I will have blonde hair again and hopefully feel less of an ugly duckling.

Hope you're all hanging in there ladies.
x

Last edited:
Hey Bambi,

This is really interesting as I’ve just emailed my (nhs) clinic re a similar issue

Spotting from the end of my period right up until after ovulation. It’s brown and very wet.

My nhs clinic did a million scans and put camera in me way before my 1st ivf cycle and every subsequent test and my recent smear has come back fine. Be interested to see how you get on...

J xx

I feel your pain. Iv the same issue spotting and it can be 9 days before af arrives. I kept getting told it’s nothing don’t worry about it. It’s normal. I thought my lining was was coming away too early.

One day I had enough told them I wanted a scan and I had one and they found a large cyst on my ovary. I had a laparoscopy and they found endo but the spotting continues. I think for one month it eased off. I was lucky after the Lap to conceive.

I hope you get the answers your waiting for. I’m glad they are taking you seriously x

Hey Bambi,

This is really interesting as I’ve just emailed my (nhs) clinic re a similar issue

Spotting from the end of my period right up until after ovulation. It’s brown and very wet.

My nhs clinic did a million scans and put camera in me way before my 1st ivf cycle and every subsequent test and my recent smear has come back fine. Be interested to see how you get on...

J xx
I’ll keep you posted Jezby. Mine is only in the luteal phase and it can be old brown blood or sometimes red. It’s light, but annoying.
I’ll let you know what happens but it’ll probably be a while if there’s a waiting list.
Hope you’re doing ok Hun xx

I feel your pain. Iv the same issue spotting and it can be 9 days before af arrives. I kept getting told it’s nothing don’t worry about it. It’s normal. I thought my lining was was coming away too early.

One day I had enough told them I wanted a scan and I had one and they found a large cyst on my ovary. I had a laparoscopy and they found endo but the spotting continues. I think for one month it eased off. I was lucky after the Lap to conceive.

I hope you get the answers your waiting for. I’m glad they are taking you seriously x
Hey Liz,
Thanks for replying. Did they remove the cyst / tissue when the did the laporoscopy? And did you have any symptoms other than spotting? I have heavy periods and get a pain in my left side but I think the pain is to do with food intolerances.
Happy to hear you conceived

X

Hey Liz,
Thanks for replying. Did they remove the cyst / tissue when the did the laporoscopy? And did you have any symptoms other than spotting? I have heavy periods and get a pain in my left side but I think the pain is to do with food intolerances.
Happy to hear you conceived

X
I used to have pain on my left side but not every month. They removed the cyst and some endo which was mild. They checked my bloods and all was ok and still I spot. Not as heavy but I can start spotting a week before af.

It’s so frustrating when doctors keep saying it’s normal which it is . But all you wanna know is why it’s happening. Where’s it coming from. To this day I still dunno I’m assuming maybe the endo.

Spotting is a big mystery it seems. However, the positive is they were right I got pregnant and still spotted and still do so don’t give up hope and I Hope you get your answers. X .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back