soz to repeat things but want clarification..

Noor~ul~Usman

Reaction score
I'm embarrassed asking because so many other topics have been made...

but am I right in assuming that whilst on maternity (SMP) you can still claim child and workings family tax credits and also child benefit? :think: :doh:

people keep telling me I can top up on tax credits whilst on maternity and when i rang up the helpline to quote they said we'd probably get £32.29 a week working families and £61,41 child tax.
My mum is adiment that I should also be able to claim child benefit :?

Nobody has said that by having maternity pay i';ll be excluded because i'm "earning".

But then if I choose not to go back to work I'm not sure if there are any benefits/top ups I can claim. hubby is not a UK resident so although he works he's not entitled to benefits....we can only get them because I'm a national - although obviously they want to see what he's earning anyway :roll: (£15,500)

noor_usman said:
am I right in assuming that whilst on maternity (SMP) you can still claim child and workings family tax credits and also child benefit? :think: :doh:

Yes you can. You can claim child benefit and child tax credit after your baby is born. Remember to do so within 3 months as they can only backdate payments for 3 months and you'd lose out on money you are entitled to if you waited longer. I think you can apply for working tax credit before the birth :think:

If you choose not to go back to work you would still get child benefit (£18 a week). You wouldn't be able to claim working tax credit as you wouldn't be working and as you would be not working through choice you wouldn't be entitled many other benefits either. I think you would still get child tax credits but I'm not sure how much you'd get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back