So stressed about work

Jen23

Reaction score
Ahh I have just to get this all off my chest as i am never going to be able to sleep otherwise!

I'm a student nurse and just had the shift from hell where basically i given too much work to do and not enough support- i had to look after a bay by myself with no support whilst all the qualified nurses had health care assistants and students helping them. I wont go into details but i had 2 discharges, 2 new patients a transfer (which was taken from me before i had time to tell new ward he was previous MRSA which is big trouble!) and two dying patients to myself but am really worried now as I was so rushed i didnt give very good care or document anything i did and now i keep thinking that as a result of me being so disorganised one of the patients might suffer.

I know i should have been given more help but i also should have asked for it. i know I am also being a bit silly- well thats what my OH thinks! I just have to keep telling myself i didn't kill anyone -I hope!!!

Hey there - it's not your fault, you're only human and it sounds like you know it was wrong for you to be left alone.

My best buddie is a nurse and while it's eons ago she went through training I remember some of the stress she'd tell my about. Once on a work placement she left a bath running which flooded and killed all the lights to the ward below!! At the time she thought she'd never make it (not just 'cos of the light thing!) but she's now an experienced and well respected prescribing nurse.

I think she felt so much stress because she CARED and because she had the brains to know when something was wrong and both of those things have made her an ace nurse - so much so I want her there when I have bub (along with hubby!).

Have a coco - I've just finished mine and am about to have a second tri (BAD joke) at sleep!

Like Floppit said you are only human! Dont worry about it. Surely if you are not qualified you should not have been left on your own - someone above you will get a telling off for them being unresponsible.

Hope you managed to get some sleep and your next shift goes a bit better x

thanks everyone for your replies feel much better this morning, it's amazing what some sleep can do!

:hug: :hug: :hug: Glad you're feeling better. It's not fair that they put you in that situation. Sounds like you did well to cope as well as you did. I think I would have burst into tears and walked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back