So much for being a doula!

Lou

Reaction score
The government are proposing all new mums to have nursing/midwife care in their homes for the first week after bringing baby home from the hospital. They will stay for up to 6 hours a day, do housework and make sure older children are fed and watered.

So thats my idea of being a doula out the bleedin' window then :roll: I'll just have to concentrate on the pregnancy side of it instead :think:

Is great news though :cheer: Apparently they do it in the Netherlands :D

Here look....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7224692.stm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That's a fantastic scheme! Where are they going to get the people and money though :think: And will it be in place by April :D

TBH, I want a doula for the pregnancy and birth part rather than for after the birth so I don't think you should give up :hug:

kalia said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That's a fantastic scheme! Where are they going to get the people and money though :think: And will it be in place by April :D

TBH, I want a doula for the pregnancy and birth part rather than for after the birth so I don't think you should give up :hug:

Cheers hun :hug:

God knows where they will get the people and money from ? :roll: I'm not sure if it will be compulsory or something you can opt out of. Personally I don't like anyone else doing my housework :shakehead:

:rotfl:

Oooh yes I saw thatb on the front page this morning..i'll have to read it later..wasn't it just a conservative proposal or something? I'll have to go nick the papers off my dad

I think it'd be nice for the pregnancy/labour aprt but I agree with Lou, I couldn't be doing with someone doing my housework and being there all the time in those first few days! I loved it being just the 3 of us once we got home!

670,000 births a year, every 2 mothers will cost 1000 a week.

that's 335,000 x £1000 per week x 52 weeks a year

= Never gonna happen!

i wouldnt like it to be honest.

its hard work but i enjoyed the challenge when we first brought her home and i like doing my own housework, with the help of my nan.

i can understand why it would be great for some mums, after all i only have one baby, if i had other kids my post would probably be very different!

The last thing I would want when I got home with my new baby would be someone there fussing about, it's bad enough putting up with all the visitors :shock:

I can't see it happening tbh,
arn't they crying out that they don't have enough staff to work on the wards let alone stay at home for a week with the new mum to be.

Much rather have a doula, follow your dream xxx

I'd hate this :shock: help with bfeeding yes - someone making sure I don't get too many visitors and feeding my other child - no :shakehead: it's bad enough being in hospital and being told you have too many visitors (4 sisters visiting for 5 mins each and my sister was "told off") let alone when you get home.

If the Tories think they could find all this money - spend it on the maternity hospital and midwives for home births.

Our local maternity hospital hasn't been redecorated since I had Josh (14 years - the same wallpaper and curtains in his baby photos as my new niece and nephews :wink: ) and what always gets on my nerves is you wash your hands outside the ward...then push open a door covered in dirty tatty old posters to get in :roll: Spend some money cleaning and looking after your own house before you start worrying about mine

Load of bollocks. Nice idea in theory, but it'll never happen :lol:

Sounds good on paper but im not buying
Maybe im a bit cynical but after maternity ward closures,
No ante natal classes on NHS due to budget cuts, 2 midwives covering 5 midwive patients lists because of staff shortages ect ect...
and the cost NAH NEVER GONNA HAPPEN :shakehead:

Id rather have to above back then a housekeeper
more midwives in the hospitals thats what we need

lou said:
The government are proposing all new mums to have nursing/midwife care in their homes for the first week after bringing baby home from the hospital. They will stay for up to 6 hours a day, do housework and make sure older children are fed and watered.

I would seriously HATE that and find it immensely intrusive.

I actually love the idea! Shame it wont happen in my lifetime :wall: :( I know some of mums would object, but for us it would be a bliss! We have absolutely no family around and my mum lives in other country. So when I had Daniel, first 2 weeks (untill she came) was a nightmare. My DH took 2 weeks off, but we were moving at the time and he was busy all days anyways. I wish I had somebody to look after me and Daniel. And who knows, maybe if there would be a trained nurse or midwife for the first week I wouldnt have had problems with breastfeeding. I am feeling, that I lost those first weeks, and this is something, what cant be restored :( So I am all for the idea! :clap: Though I think there should be a choice for mums. So if they dont want-they dont have to have it. More nurses for us-mums who wants it! :dance:

for ppl who want that it sounds good but as some ppl have said i would hate it and find it a big intrusion!
it will never happen- as it is there are women giving birth in corridors
as they are so understaffed. my auntie delivered my cousins baby in hospital coz they called for the midwife but she was one of 2 on duty for 8 women and was too busy to come.
If they havent got enough money for midwifes in labour wards how they gonna send them to every new mums house??

jools221181 said:
I think it'd be nice for the pregnancy/labour aprt but I agree with Lou, I couldn't be doing with someone doing my housework and being there all the time in those first few days! I loved it being just the 3 of us once we got home!

i was gonna say i wudnt want someone there all that time. id feel like i was being checked up on

Hate the idea and can't imagine it ever happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back