Smoking

star fish

Reaction score
I know this is such a taboo subject on here, and I'm sure most of you are healthy non smokers, but I bet there are a few of you who arent!

I was a smoker, got pregnant, quit the day I found out, had a miscarriage at 10 weeks and went home and had a large glass of wine and a cigarette!

I really wish I hadnt, after going over 2 months without, what a good opportunity to quit for good. Now I've had one I crave it again constantly just like I did in the beginning and this time I dont have the really strong incentive not to smoke, not even one, because i knew it would harm the baby.

I have been strong and only had that one, but I want another! I wont have it because clearly it is a slippery slope, but I wondered if anyone else was trying to give up and we could say supportive things to each other about how worth it is, and how good it will be for the next baby, etc etc

hey hun, i stopped the second i found i was pregnant and then 5 weeks after his birth started again.......dread....and i cannot wait to get an appt with the doctors to quit. The most i can say to help for you is honestly, if you start up again properly, you will feel so guilty....... im not trying to guilt trip you but i was so proud of quitting and then J was take nto hospital and ended up starting again and wish i hadnt but now its so hard to stop again!! Keep going! chew gum??
xx

Fab thread StarFish! I don't smoke but this thread could be very helpful to those who do. :) Bumping it up! x x

i smoked, and like you quit the minute i got a BFP. then when i miscarried, first thing i wanted was a cigarette. you are so right, i feel i have nothing making me stop now. when i was pregnant for the few weeks, i wanted the baby more than the cig, not the baby has gone, i want a cigarette, but know i will regret it if i have one!

Keep strong girls. You can do it and it will be so worth it in the end xxx

Hey ladies.
I know this might be nothing to do with it....... but next month i have been quit a year! I am still so proud of myself to this day. ..... Now i cannot stand the smell of it and could never imagine myself with a cigarette.
I tried many times before to quit but always failed, Also tried many things to make me stop but i still couldnt put the whole craving thing to the back of my head, I suppose i didnt have the will power.
It was more of a routine thing for me and i couldnt get out of it.

Honestly ladies.... you all can do it and once you have you will be sooo proud of yourself. I have Asthma and was constantly getting put onto steroids to help my breathing. Now i have quit i have never been back on steroids and i cant remember the last time i had to use my inhaler.

Hope yous dont think i went on but just wanted to show you guys how good it makes you feel once you have quit. Good luck............. Amy xxx

What brilliant responses! This has helped already :)

Well, its definitely got me through tonight.... what do they say at AA? One day at a time?

(although it always makes me think of comedian Dennis Leary who said "I take every day one beer at a time and every beer one sip at a time" which could totally apply to smoking too)

OK Ceris - we both have to stay strong. Squeakz - are you going to quit again?

Amy - thats definitely inspirational. My hubby is asthmatic and he only smokes if i'm smoking (he seems to be able to take it or leave it) and so i shouldnt ever have smoked near him. You dont say how you quit?

xxx

Im sure you will all get through it...... I must say that my OH played a big part in helping me quit as he didnt smoke and he didnt like it anyway. I got him to tell me that i stunk basically lol. Also think of the money that you will save when not buying them all the time.

I tried patches which i was allergic to, I tried the gum but that seemed to be to strong for my chest when it was bad, I tried that inhalator thing (the white thing that you suck lol) I think this would of worked but at this point i prob didnt have enough will power lol.

In the end i thought right enoughs enough, stop pussy footing around and just bloody quit lol.

So instead of buying 20 a day.......that day i bought a pack of 10 and that 10 lasted me a good few days and then I bought a thing from Bodycare which cost 99p, It was called crafe-away and was just like a plastic cigarette that when you sucked had a funny taste lol, its meant to be tobacco taste.
I used this and this defo helped me, I think it was really having something to do with my hands and my mouth if you get what i mean as half the time i didnt even suck the plastic thing i just had it dangling out my mouth or nipping it between my teeth.

I must say that the crafe away thing doesnt help everyone as OH's mam couldnt get away with it so she bought one of them electronic ones. Hope this helps ladies xxx

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind me butting in here but I was here for so long I feel more comfortable.
I have given up for a week and two days now and managed my first saturday night out while everyone was rather merry without having a fag but was desperate for one. I am reading the Allen Carr book and hoping it will do the trick, I know a few other girls who said it worked. Has anyone else tried it?

I have stopped and started soooo many times - my new year resolution was to stop
I have been good and have only had a couple.
I know I shouldn't have any but when I really fancy one I have one and then afterwards I know I stink and that my mouth tastes horrible and it puts me off wanting the next one,
So if I'm really craving one I'll have it and then make myself hate it afterwards.
I'm finding that this is making me want one less and less

Hi ladies!

I gave up on 1st Jan (and drinking) and have found it a real struggle - my motivator is that I read somewhere that smoking whilst trying can increase your risk of miscarriage, I just wanted to know that if I got pregnant and then MC its not because I have smoked or drank, I did 'cheat' when I got AF!!! boy did I enjoy that !!!

Good luck!

I decided to quit on honeymoon, had my last one on the day before we came home and I havent smoked since. I thought if I quit now, then my body would be ready for that elusive bfp! Stay strong, and maybe try to find a distraction. You can do it!! x

Mine is a similar story to Eldra, it has been just over a year now since I quit and I am so proud of myself :dance:

Had never tried to give up before, but I always said that when I start trying for a baby then I will quit and I did. I smoked for about 15 years not heavily about 7 - 10 a day but I was very routine and that was the hardest bit for me to break.

At work I would eat an orange around the time I would normally have a fag as it kept my hands busy. And at home after dinner I would jump straight in the shower.

I feel so much healthier since quitting to, I no longer get chest pains when I exercise, I dont have flem in the back of my throat anymore, I dont suffer with throat infections, and I smell better :lol:

The day I gave up I had a horrible throat infection and I def think that helped get me through that first hard week as I was to poorly to even want a fag.

I am more then happy to be part of a support team for anyone who is thinking of giving up as I know how hard it can be xx

Last edited:
a tip for quitting is after every cigarette put it in a jar with some water in, after a week or so everytime you have a cigarette smell 'the collection' x

I've been quit for just over 2 years now (quit December 4th 2008). I smoked for about 12 years I think, 20 a day. It might sound a cop out, but I just felt that I needed to quit. I was getting pains in my chest really badly and just quit the day after. Used patches and my husband also quit at the same time. The first week was the worst. I stayed away from pubs/clubs etc for about 6 months as well because I didn't feel strong enough.

I'm avoiding social situations with smokers, which is terrible! But I'm just not that strong! Mind you I was complaining last night and really wanting one and my husband said "Go ahead, just have one, its ok if its only occasionally" and I knew that was a real test for me. Being given permission makes it really hard to say no, but I did!! I know I'm not in a place yet where i can just have an 'occasional' one! I havent smoked for 3 months, then had just one and now i crave it again! So i have have have to stay strong and not even have one!

I tried those electronic fags. They are amazing, its just like smoking, plus you can do it inside a pub, but what is the point? They seriously are exactly the same as smoking but without the tar, thats the only difference, and seeing as the tar isnt addictive it didnt help me stop at all.

Its great hearing how others are getting on. Keep adding your stories if there are any more smokers (or ex smokers) on here?

Hey hun :)

Well I was a bad smoker on the weekend I would smoke up to 40 iw. I have been quit a year now and in the first 6 months every time I went out and I had a wine I was like get me a cig NOW!!! In the morning I would have a killer headache and taste disgusting all day.

Ive got my sense of taste and smell back now whih in turn I can eat things like veg and fruit again because they tasted so bland before.

I cant stand the smell of cigs now and if anyone smokes around me I can smell it for hours. I LOVED smoking and it funny I hate it more than ever, and just to make ya feel great have u seen the list of everything a cig contains. and yes cyanide is there! Starfish u are going to get pregnant again so I would say thats a good enough reason! Making ur baby oven all spring fresh for a sticky bean xx

The List of 599 Additives in Cigarettes google it iwwww.

Hey hun :)

Starfish u are going to get pregnant again so I would say thats a good enough reason! Making ur baby oven all spring fresh for a sticky bean xx

You are so right! I am going to get pregnant again and I do want it to be a lovely place where the baby will want to hang out for a good 9 months this time! :)

Must stay strong :shakehead:

You will get pregnant again hunny like AC said, so hang in there.

I gave up when i found out i was pregnant with Adam and i have never looked back since, i cant stand the smell anymore and if someone comes near my thats just had one it makes me feel ill! So OH knows to stay away after hes been outside x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back