Smelly nappies?

TashaWink

Reaction score
Hi all!

Need some help, my cloth smells as soon as he has wet them! The smell is horrendous and transfers onto clothing and his skin! What's causing this? I have just put a load in on a rinse last night before doing the main wash. I just don't know if I can go on with this smell...it's too much!

Try soaking them in bicarb of soda before putting them in the wash. It's bacteria that smells so you need to kill that to get rid of the smell. I am sure there's antibacterial washing powder out there too, not very eco friendly but you could try a 60 degree wash too xxxxxxx

a few drops of tea tree oil in the nappy bucket/washing machine? it is the bacteria causing it so wss re washing at 60 is a good idea.

if that doesn't work you could do a strip wash - google it but in essencse you put a teaspoon of washing up liquid in, then rinse until no bubbles - might take 5 rinses. don't think its great for the longeivity of the nappies but i did this for one of my nappies that had gone crunchy and it worked well.

what type are you using?

using pocket nappies. ive gone back to using bambino mio 2 part as these dont smell. i've washed them at 60 a few times and i can still smell them. my washing machine isnt brilliant. might have to try stripping them!

I use bamboo liners as well but they don't smell unless he's wee'd lots so maybe they do need stipping or have you checked the filter on your machine and maybe give it a good clean out, mine sometimes gets clogged, and in the draw bit.

Yeah our washing machine does too, I do an empty boil wash every so often. The water here is really hard too which doesn't help

The draw is clean as anything! We're in rented accom. So the machine isn't ours not too sure how long it's been here but looks ancient. All our clothes come out lovely and clean. I bought Eco disposables yesterday and although they're not as green as cloth I think I am going to stick to these and sell the nappies! My sense of smell has been so sensitive lately that I seriously cannot put up with the wee smell, whilst I'm trying to figure out how to keep these nappies clean.

i think pampers etc smell of wee anyway hun so you do whats best for you guys :)

Yea I do too. Can't stand the smell of my nieces nappies-think they're pampers. But these Eco ones seem fine keep in the smell lovely. :) if it wasn't for the smell I would carry on.

well you gotta do what works for you hun, my washables dont smell unless shes pooped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back