Smelly Belly

dannii87

Reaction score
My child STINKS.

:puke:

I don't know what to do but her cord absolutely smells vile. It's like walking into a room where a body has been left rotting each time I see to her :puke: It's always kept clean and I talc it to keep it dry and smelling a bit fresher but it's not working!!

MW agreed that it stinks terrible, but said it was fine.

Will the smell go? It's soooo embarassing, every time people want a cuddle they say "oh she's pooed!" I have to then tell them that it's her stinky belly button :lol: xxx

Not sure about this as Benjamins came off within 4days, BUT the MW did tell me that if it started to smell to keep checking to make sure that it wasn't getting infected.

When mine were little I never used talc or anything, I just used cooled boiled water and used cotton wool to clean around the area.

Maybe hold back on the talc and see if that helps

If your midwife seems competent that's OK but if you have suspicions that she's useless, get a second opinion from your doctor. If the area is red and swollen go to the doctor. If you have a thermometer you could check her temperature to see if she has a fever as that is a sign of infection.

This didn't happen to DD but we kept it too clean - we were given antiseptic powder at the hospital and told to use it so we were using it every nappy change. At 3 weeks the HV asked what we were doing to keep the cord clean and when we told her she explained that it needs some bacteria to fall off. Because we were keeping it so clean it was staying - apparently we were supposed to use the powder a couple of times a day for the first couple of days. We stopped with the antiseptic and it fell of a few days later. Thinking about it, I'd forgotten how disgusting the cord is!

my M/W told me to keep dabbing Lyla's with boiled (then cooled) water on cotton wool at every nappy change and make sure you dry it with another peice of cotton wool.
dunno whether talc might be making it worse thou danni! :?

I was given special mild antiseptic wipes for it and also special powder... cant remeber the name of it but maybe worth asking!

i would take her to the dr hun
thomas went like that and hes was infected :(
a bit of cream cleared it up within a day or two though then it fell off
xx

there is a medicated talc you can put on.. i had to user it with charl coz she had an infection in hers.. hers fell off after a week but had an infection in her belly button and it didnt heal up (she had an umbillical hernia then) so i used a lot of the medicated talc.. stop using normal talc though.. use cooled boiled water and if you are worried go to see the doctor. xx

the have a special antiseptic spray here to put on the cord stump, but it didn't really help and lil miss got an infection in hers so I resorted to boob milk which helped heal it up real quick...mind once it started smelling... it was only a short time before it fell off...makes me :puke: thinking people actually keep them... they are vile :shakehead:

Connie's smelt a little bit for a day or 2 then fell off. It was never smelly enough for anyone to comment on it when they held her. We could only smell it when we were changing her nappy and had undone her vest.

Its strange how advice changes from one area (or MW) to another! My MW told me to clean with cool boiled water only and dont use any powders etc! I was told using powerders makes them take longer to fall off?!
I think generally they are a bit wiffy hun! If the midwife isnt concerned (and she must see lots and lots of them) then try not to worry but if it gets red or she gets a fever (as someone already said) then take her doc :hug:

Its strange how advice changes from one area (or MW) to another! My MW told me to clean with cool boiled water only and dont use any powders etc! I was told using powerders makes them take longer to fall off?!
I think generally they are a bit wiffy hun! If the midwife isnt concerned (and she must see lots and lots of them) then try not to worry but if it gets red or she gets a fever (as someone already said) then take her doc :hug:

my middy told me that the smell means it is healing. josh's smelt for a couple of days too, middy told me to clean it with cooled boiled water then use a bit if sudocream on it. his came off couple of days after.

Galen's came off after 3 days. We didn't touch it tbh. MW said to keep his nappies turned down below it and leave it alone. So we did. And it was fine :) When it came off we cleaned his belly button with cooled boiled water and that was it.

MW told us it should come off sooner as we had let the cord stop pulsating etc before clamping and cutting.

Jacks was never smelly, I'd take the advice of the above ladies and get a 2nd opinion.

They do say they should come off around by 7-10days (Jacks was on day 10 I think).

We were told to keep in dry and we didn't touch it, it started to loosen after about a week and then came off.

I didn't touch Austins, never even cleaned around it or anything and it came off after 3 days. I never noticed it smelling at all. We only started with the cooled boiled water on his belly button after the stump had come off.

I'd get to the doctors if you can it sounds like it could be infected.

Thing is - it is really a piece of flesh rotting isn't it!!! Try to keep it as dry as possible and leave it open to the air whenever you can, then mention it to your midwife and get her to look at it. They are not the nicest things :puke:

We never did anything to Faith's. It fell off after 6 days. It did smell though! Not nice!

Evie's feel off after about 3 days but it did stay quite wet and oozy and I was given some antiseptic cream at her 8 week check and that has dries it up nicely.... although I do wish i'd used booby milk as soon as it feel off as my friend's baby's healed really quickly....

P.S. SNAP with the name....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back