• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Slow developer

soverign

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I am starting to get more concerned about my son. He is approaching 10 months and he can barely do anything. He can sit up unaided for about 2 mins and then falls. He can't crawl at all and hates being on his front. If I put him up to something he can hold onto he will grab it but he can't support himself so he will just fall onto his bum. He only says mamama and can't make any other sounds. I think I hay have posted about it before on here but as he is growing so fast and not picking up any new things I am starting to get really worried. Is anyone else in the same position as me? Any advice would be much appreciated!

sorry hun no advice
but maybe ring your hv see if they can do any development tests?
:hug: :hug:
xx

Hey hun, my OH did mention this to the HV at his development check and she just said that babies all go at their own pace. Its not like I don't try to help him. As soon as I get in from work at lunch time I spend from then until he goes to bed playing with him! I just feel like a crap mum when I see other babies his age doing different things!

Apart from the things you have already mentioned can he do other stuff like pass objects from one hand to the next, bear the weight on his legs, is he eating solids ie not puree, can he easily pick objects up?

I don't think you should worry hun :hug: I know its hard when you see other LO's at the same age or younger doing things your LO can't. I was/am in the same position. Jack is a very slow developer.

He started sitting on his own at around 10 1/2 months. He used to roll around the room but he didn't crawl or even attempt to get onto his hands and knees until just before his 1st birthday. He always hated tummy time. He first pulled himself up at around 13 months and started cruising about a month after that. He has only recently taken his first steps at 17 months and right now although he is getting more confident he is still not walking all of the time. Prefers to crawl.

All babies go at their own pace. Jack never really said any words until recently, now I can't shut him up :lol:

:hug: :hug: :hug:
I don't think my older brother did anything til he was gone a year.
Some babies are just chilled and calm and don't feel the need to get around, i'm sure he'll decide to soon :) and maybe when he does he'll start doing everything at once :) then you'll ahve your work cut out :)

For now enjoy the fact he isn't trying to eat your dvd player! xxxxxxxxx

Charlie:-) said:
Apart from the things you have already mentioned can he do other stuff like pass objects from one hand to the next, bear the weight on his legs, is he eating solids ie not puree, can he easily pick objects up?
Hey Charlie, yeah he can pass objects between hands no problem at all. I don't think he can support the weight on his legs because when I let go when hes holding onto something he falls down. He is eating a few solids but I have to say he is a very funny eater. If he is eating finger foods he will try and chew them but if he is eating mashed up food he spits most of the lumps out. If he really likes the food then he wont spit the lumps out. :think: He picks objects up quite easily but he wont bother if they aren't in his reach. If he can't reach them then he can't have them and he doesn't care! lol

Sweetcheeks24 said:
I don't think you should worry hun :hug: I know its hard when you see other LO's at the same age or younger doing things your LO can't. I was/am in the same position. Jack is a very slow developer.

He started sitting on his own at around 10 1/2 months. He used to roll around the room but he didn't crawl or even attempt to get onto his hands and knees until just before his 1st birthday. He always hated tummy time. He first pulled himself up at around 13 months and started cruising about a month after that. He has only recently taken his first steps at 17 months and right now although he is getting more confident he is still not walking all of the time. Prefers to crawl.

All babies go at their own pace. Jack never really said any words until recently, now I can't shut him up :lol:

Thankyou for that hun, I think Caelan sounds just like your LO! Its nice to know he's not the only one! :D

Suzie and Faith said:
:hug: :hug: :hug:
I don't think my older brother did anything til he was gone a year.
Some babies are just chilled and calm and don't feel the need to get around, i'm sure he'll decide to soon :) and maybe when he does he'll start doing everything at once :) then you'll ahve your work cut out :)

For now enjoy the fact he isn't trying to eat your dvd player! xxxxxxxxx
Yeah people keep saying that I should be greatful that I can change his bum without him crawling off and such like! I will probably be complaining he won't keep still when the time comes! You can't win!

soverign said:
Charlie:-) said:
Hey Charlie, yeah he can pass objects between hands no problem at all. I don't think he can support the weight on his legs because when I let go when hes holding onto something he falls down. He is eating a few solids but I have to say he is a very funny eater. If he is eating finger foods he will try and chew them but if he is eating mashed up food he spits most of the lumps out. If he really likes the food then he wont spit the lumps out. :think: He picks objects up quite easily but he wont bother if they aren't in his reach. If he can't reach them then he can't have them and he doesn't care! lol

I wouldnt worry then it sounds like he may just be taking his time, like you say he can do those things but doesnt always choose to do them. The reason I ask about eating solids is that the chewing motion and suckling motion used when breastfeeding (not sure if your LO was) uses lots of muscles in the mouth which are used to develop the muscles used for talking, so it seems that if he prefers not to eat the lumps then he may not be using the muscles needed for talking, although you say he tries to chew so hopefully this will just continue, the more he tries the more he gets used to it until eventually he has no problem chewing. Like others have said he's just taking his time with things and if your HV isnt worried then just carry on giving him lots of encouragement and play time.

i dont have any propper advice, except my own experices

hannah at 10 months was almost walking, said lots of words, could sit up for any length of time, every morning when i came into her room she would be stnding in her cot (holding side)

were as emily is so so so different.

at 10 months: (she can stand, IF i stand her holding somthing, but only for a minute), shes never even tempted crawling, only in the last month or so has she been able to sit unattened (only now i can say she can do it, limitless amout of time) (before the last few weeks she could only do it for maybe 20-30 seconds)..... she only says about 3-4 words and even then i think its just babeling.

I seriously wouldnt worry, i have first hand experice that every child is so so so different. Im deffinatly not worried about emily... she seems much more of a 'people watcher' then a 'do-er' lol

if you still have that niggling doubt...id speak to your midwife/HV/doc

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Red_Fairy said:
i dont have any propper advice, except my own experices

hannah at 10 months was almost walking, said lots of words, could sit up for any length of time, every morning when i came into her room she would be stnding in her cot (holding side)

were as emily is so so so different.

at 10 months: (she can stand, IF i stand her holding somthing, but only for a minute), shes never even tempted crawling, only in the last month or so has she been able to sit unattened (only now i can say she can do it, limitless amout of time) (before the last few weeks she could only do it for maybe 20-30 seconds)..... she only says about 3-4 words and even then i think its just babeling.

I seriously wouldnt worry, i have first hand experice that every child is so so so different. Im deffinatly not worried about emily... she seems much more of a 'people watcher' then a 'do-er' lol

if you still have that niggling doubt...id speak to your midwife/HV/doc

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Thankyou ever so much for that hun! It's nice to hear from other mums with experience because sometimes I really don't know if the health visitors are even on the same planet as me! They never seem to answer my questions properly and as for the advice they give you! :wall:

Anjali is 10 months and the only word she says is Dada (altho she babbles a fair bit)
She only started to try to get mobile last week- before that she wouldnt bother if something was out of her reach
She never rolled until 2 weeks ago.

However she has been able to sit up well for a long time and has been increasingly nimble with her fingers, so i wasnt worried.

On their own none of the things you mention are anything to worry about, but if you are worried that overall, NOTHING is developing or improving, check with your HV just to set your mind at rest.

gymbabeliz said:
Anjali is 10 months and the only word she says is Dada (altho she babbles a fair bit)
She only started to try to get mobile last week- before that she wouldnt bother if something was out of her reach
She never rolled until 2 weeks ago.

However she has been able to sit up well for a long time and has been increasingly nimble with her fingers, so i wasnt worried.

On their own none of the things you mention are anything to worry about, but if you are worried that overall, NOTHING is developing or improving, check with your HV just to set your mind at rest.
Thankyou hun :hug:

Rudy is a bit younger but pretty much the same way. He can sit for a few minutes and that is pretty much it for him. No rolling, no trying to get into a crawling position, no attempt at moving when on tummy and as for even trying to talk pffft I can't see that hapening for a long, long time. He hates being on his tummy like Calen does too.

xxx

you wait it will all come when you least expect it! At nearly 10months ky could only sit unaided. he never liked being on his belly either. At around 10 and a half months he started commando crawling all of a sudden then within the next month he was crawling properly, pulling himself up and cruising by 11months it all happened so fast! literally in weeks! now at nearly 13months hes at exactly the same developmental stage so im waiting for a sudden burst again.....walking :doh: !! dont think it will be any time soon yet though!! fingers crossed hes already like a whippet crawling after things he should be!

Hey hun try not to worry!
My daughter didnt walk until 22 months! She didnt sit unaided until about 10- 11 months, she never crawled! None of mine did! They did this army kinda thing where they dragged themselves along lol but not crawling!

As long as he is learning things a would try not to worry about him, but if it concerns you it wouldnt hurt to mention it to a HV and just get their opinion on it, but from the replies on her it seems he's perfectly normal :)

Like Suzie said you'll be wishing him to move and as soon as he does you'll be wishing he wouldnt lol, i also found that DD started doing things in rapid sucession, it all came so quickly!

Oh and off topic but i love your avatar of him, he's gorgeous

Iz has been sitting unaided since she was 4 1/2 months...and since then she has done NOTHING :lol:

She cant crawl (hell, she cant even get onto all fours without falling on her face, bless her, then i have to lift her back up because she hates being on her front). She doesnt really 'say' anything. She can say mama, dada etc but i dont think she knows what it actually means. And she can support her own weight (strong little legs) of we hold her up, but she cant pull herself up yet, and has really rubbish balance at the mo, so i cant see her walking anytime soon :lol:

I worry about Iz being slower than other babies at times, but im sure theres nothing wrong with her, she's just a little behind :D

Mind you, Beth was exactly the same. She's do nothing for aaaggggeeess, then all of a sudden learn to do 5 things at once. Im thinking Iz is the same.

I wouldnt worry about it :hug: I think your HV is right, they all have their own pace :hug: Im just enjoying Iz NOT moving around at the moment...i remeber what a nightmare it can be!! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back