Slow cooker

mum2A&L

Reaction score
Guess what i got for xmas!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :dance: :dance:

its so sad and pathetic, but im so excited about it!! Ive wanted one for YEARS!! :oops:

Does anyone have any recipes they can recommend? If i made a big chili con-Carine (sp) do you recon i could freeze some of it?

OOO!! can't wait to start cooking :D

weve had one for a very long time but never used it, i would be able to know how to, so my post is pants really sorry :rotfl:

Yes you sure can freeze it. I love my slow cooker it's most fab!!!!

I did a beef joint in it the other day and it was so tender mmmmmmm

Babylicious said:

ooo!! what do you have to do in terms of prep?

i can see myself spending a small fortune on food over the next few weeks!! not that i seem to be able to eat much of it - oh well, i will just have to fatten OH up :rotfl: :rotfl:

I just made lamb hotpot in mine today. It was yummy! I cut the veg and fried the lamb this morning and shoved it all in the slow cooker with some lamb stock (made with stock cube because seriously who can be arsed with making up "real" stock!)
If you search online you'll find loads of recipes.

I got one for xmas too! I havent got a clue what to do with it so I need some help too!

If you cook like a chicken casserole or sausage casserole I take it the meat needs to be cooked first or cooked a bit and the slow cooker will finish it off????? And do the veggies go in raw?

Everything goes in raw, that's the beauty of it. Chuck it all in in the morning, have a lovely stew at dinner time.

We've put 4 lamb chops, a few sliced onions, carrots, herbs and red wine into the slow cooker at lunch time and just left it to start smelling lovely. It's cooking for those who don't have the time to cook :D

As said, everything goes in raw, but depending on what i am cooking, i will brown the meat for colour...
It is a great gift, i use mine a lot and would be lost without it! Try the web for recipes...there are loads of them - happy Cookin!

Lisa

ooooo I want one! My friends has one and she used to put hers on before she went to work then dinner would be ready when she got home.

On boxing day we put the roast beef joint in the oven and went to the park, it was done to perfection when we got back an hour and 20 mins later :D

Sam&Alice said:
Babylicious said:

ooo!! what do you have to do in terms of prep?

i can see myself spending a small fortune on food over the next few weeks!! not that i seem to be able to eat much of it - oh well, i will just have to fatten OH up :rotfl: :rotfl:

I just put the joint in and put water in (3 inches - the joint wasn't covered over), added some stock cubes, put on low and left for 6/7 hours mmmmm (I did turn it over half way thru too)

Oh my god - I'm not alone - I love my slow cooker so much so that (amongst other things) hubby bought me a slow cooker receipe book for Xmas. It's fab! :D Always do stew in mine and chilli - especially at bonfire night as you just plug it in and it stays warm all night so people can help themselves. Chuck red wine, touch of brandy, orange slices, cloves and cinnamon etc in it for yummy mulled wine this time of year. Or make winter Pimms in it (Oh my good you can tell I have alcohol withdrawal symptoms! :lol: )

I do my joints in there too - the book that came with mine said seal the joint in a frying pan first then put in on an upturned bowl (so it stays out of the water) and munch away 6hrs later - depending on size.

Happy slow cooking!

Sam&Alice said:

Btw, you don't need to spend a small fortune, as it's the cheap cuts which turn out most delicious in the slow cooker.

You just need to be open-minded in trying them. I'd recommend a nice chat with your local butcher, who should be only too happy to recommend you cuts for slow cooking, and of course, HFW's The River Cottage Meat Book (not only for slow cooking, but for all things meaty).

I love mine! I do all my roasts in it! Just had pork casserole for tea.
I made OH and Angel a lamb and sweet potato casserole the other day with tomatoes and spring onions. They loved it.

Just posted this in BabySols slow cooker thread, but here it is for you too :)

Scouse!

Although people probably call it 'stew' who aren't from Liverpool. My mum's recipe is great, it's really tasty, even the kids love it :D Mum doesn't use a slow cooker but the meat cooks from morning til tea time in the pan on a very low heat.

Ingredients: (a lot of the time she just uses what's in the cupboard for flavouring in the gravy, it's all about trying new things and not being scared to put random things into the mix!)

Use your standard packet of stewing steak
1 onion (chopped)
1 beef OXO cube
Salt and pepper
1/2 - 3/4 pint of boiling water
Add another beef OXO cube
Add some diced carrot and turnip
Potato chopped into small cubes
Add more boiling water (enough to cover all the veg)

This can be left all day until the meat and veg is soft.

Add some gravy granules to thicken it an hour or so before serving, give it a last stir and it can be served.

That's what my mum uses but she says you can add anything you want, this is guaranteed to be really tasty!

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back