Sleeping position - trying to find the right one

mayday

Reaction score
I always used to sleep on my front, and obviously can't do that any more. I have a really bad pain under my right ribs if I try sleeping on either side, and have read it's not recommended to sleep on your back during later pregnancy. All of this is leading to rather a lot of sleepless nights! The other day my MW told me it was OK to sleep sitting up if that worked, and that if I could use cushions in bed to prop myself up I could sleep on my back because my head would be elevated. But try as I might I start off sleeping sitting up, and go into such a deep sleep (been missing that recently :sleep: ) that I don't notice if I slip down the bed and end up on my back. I still have lots of pillows, but I don't know how 'flat on your back' is bad for you, if you know what I mean!

Secondly, I discovered yesterday that I can get a very comfortable nap if I make a little circle out of my pregnancy pillow (and every other pillow in the house too :lol: ) and lay face down with my bump hanging into the hole in the centre. I daren't actually sleep like this in case the pillow circle collapses and I squash baby. OH reckons that if I get as sensitive as I do when he lays his arm across my tummy in the wrong way, I will wake up and notice straight away. But I still daren't sleep like that. Do you reckon it'll be fine to nap lin that position?

im sure it will be just fine..

i used to find sleeping on tummy rather comfy as well, but not anymore, i have a large pillow i lay under my legs and i now sleep on my side, bliss, when the kids are ok and sleeping that is lol :hug:

i love sleeping on my front too... 'tis a distant memory! not long now tho :hug:

I'm sure with the support of the pillows you'll be ok napping on your front like that. :)

I hate sleeping on my back at the moment. I feel like I'm being squashed when I lay like that. It's horrible. I mostly sleep on my side with a spare pillow tucked under the bump.

But an undisturbed night of sleep is a dim and distant memory now :(

I have been told quite a few times that it is fine to sleep on your back as long as you are comfortable, if you are not meant to sleep on your back you will know because you will not be able to breathe properly or will go dizzy and feel sick.

Thats how i sleep most nights, that and my right side because i am not comfy on my left side, i tend to get kicked a lot on my left side to.

Apparently if you can put a firm pillow under your right knee ( like one of those tube shaped ones) you could sleep on your back. It's just to relieve the pressure on the major nerve that runs down your back......that's what I was told anyway!

Thanks everyone. Maybe there is a way I'll get to sleep after all :sleep: :cheer:

:hug: mayday :hug:
I think if a position works for you, use it, because you need your sleep :) Sleeping on your back isn't recommended as it stops optimum blood flow to your pelvic muscles, but if it's how you sleep its how you sleep :hug:

Hi

I agree find a position thats comfy for you
I alwasy sleep on my sides , loves sleeping on my tummy but cant but found after myf irst pregnancy it took me a long time to be comfy on my tummy again :( Also when i sleep on my sides even when i use pillows i always end up on my back :?
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back