Sleeping positions

Lou

Reaction score
Hey

Would like your opinions and advice with regards to sleeping positions.

Last week my friend warned me that I should stop sleeping on my back as it can cause dizziness and is something to do with blood pressure and my heart. Any ideas or info on this?

Also I am finding sleeping on my left hand side gives me pains in my chest so all I'm left with is sleeping on my right which doesn't bother me but if I wake up uncomfortable I have no option but to readjust myself on the same side.

I am using a pillow under my bump and sometimes sleep with my feet up if my legs feel crampy and generally I'm feeling totally tired and like I will never have a good nights sleep ever again! :(

Any info or suggestions will be much appreciated as I'm grumpy and sleepy and fed up :)

Lou :)

I have been told not to sleep on my back because of the pressure to a nerve or something, which can cause dizziness etc, but have sometimes had to sleep just off my back, ie with a pillow wedged to prop me up slightly!! Im also suffering with pains in my hips so sleeping on my side is getting bad too!! :roll: Oh well not long now and sleepless nights will be a bit more enjoyable :? :lol:

Good luck and let me know if you find a great solution!

Natalie x

Yes, sleeping on the back is not advised at this time as the major blood vessels which run just in front of your vertebrae can get squashed by the weight if the uterus . Quite literally being in between a rock & a hard place :wink: I understand very well what u r going thru..........Im still going thru it myself. Havent come to any solution yet! In addition I now find it most tiring trying to turn in bed or just adjust my position or sit up! People say it might be worth trying to get some sleep in a comfy reclining chair. Not an option 4 me as I dont find even the sofa comfy any more. Around 30-32 weeks I was crying quite often b'coz I could NEVER manage to get a decent sleep until around 4 in the morning & then it waas time to get ready 4 work from around 6 in the morning. Things a bit better now as I have started my mat leave. I just watch tv till around 2-3 am then get some sleep until 10 am!!Good luck.

Hi Lou,

I am also having trouble getting comfy at night. I get the same as you if I sleep on my left side. Just seems to feel reallyt heavy and achey. Sleeping on my left side also seems to make my heartburn so much worse at night.
I have heard that you shouldn't sleep on your back because of a blocking a major vein. I asked my doctor about this and she said it is only dangerous if you are laying flat on your back. Literally like in the 'coffin' position with your hands by your sides etc. So I just wedge one of my many cuddly toys just under one side of my back so that I am slightly tilted. It feels like I am sleeping on my back but I know I am not completely flat. xxx

I know what you mean, my pelvis aches when I turnm over, I get faint on my back at any point cos your main vessel to your heart gets crushed and starves your heart of oxygen, I get cramp in both legs no matter what side I lie on so you aren't the only one. It's a nightmare. I curl up with cusions on my legs or under my bump and take up the whole bed (lucky I don't have to sleep with anyone).

We'll have to get used to no sleep anyway I guess :)

Just keep trying new positions with cushions and things.

Good luck,

Em xxxx

From about 18 weeks i started getting really bad pains in my back/pelvis/hips so i went out and bought one of those long body pillows. I've cuddled up to that every night, with the lower half tucked between my legs and kind of leanin forward. I'm still waking to swap from my left to right side (and for pee breaks!) but before bump i'd always slept on my stomach, the pillow definately made it easier for me to find a new comfortable position to sleep in.

Good luck! x

Hey

Great to hear I'm not suffering alone (sorry girls :) )

Last night I tried tucking a pillow either side of me and laying half on my back half on my side and it was quite comfortable. My cat Phoebe follows me everywhere now I'm pregnant and she wanted to sleep curled up next to me and I didn't have the heart to kick her off the bed so I wasn't as comfy as I could've been. I had Phebes on one side and my bf sprawled out on the other side. Usually just when I get comfy my bf rolls over and I have to move because I can't stand anyone breathing on me when I'm trying to sleep.

If its not one thing its another lol When Isaac is born I think I'm going to buy my own single bed just for me!

Hope you all got a good nights sleep last night.

Lou :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back