Sleeping on my back.

Hazel

Reaction score
I read that you're not supposed to sleep on your back after 4 months.

Every night I make sure I fall asleep on my side but when I wake up in the morning I'm on my back. I have a wedge pillow to cuddle when I'm on my side but I throw it off the bed in my sleep.

Is this really bad for me and baby?

i do exactly the same as you, fall asleep on my side but wake on my back, i hope it doesnt do any harm for us :hug:

Try sleeping on your left side and barricading yourself in with cushions. As you get bigger you will find it quite hard to sleep on your back as baby will squish all your insides!

luckily iv never really been a back sleeper so im not sur3e what to suggest ? sleep on the edge of the bed with loads of pillows in the middle so if u roll over u fall out ?!?!? Sounds like a plan, and i doubt your rolling over straight away so i wouldnt worry about it too much :)

Maybe make your OH stay awake all night and he can gently turn you back onto your side ;)

Awww i sleep on my tummy at the moment hehe think its gonna have to stop soon coz I dont think Pip likes getting squished!

if you are feeling fine it is ok, but if you get breathless then you shouldn't do it. I still spend quite bit of time on my back when in bed and feel fine. LO is fine so don't stress. when you get bigger you'll prob stop doing it naturally cos it will be uncomfortble.

Sandi

I'm having this problem too. Dh is now fed up as the pillows are taking up so much space in the bed- told him to go to the sofa if he doesn't like it. (Might have been a bit harsh actually but I have flu so in a bad mood.)
I'm hoping that body will naturally stop me from doing it like sandi4paul says.

I saw midwife today and I asked her if it was bad to sleep on my back or lie on my back. She said that the baby would be lying on the major blood vessel supplying lots of things but including the placenta. She said that not to worry though because if it's bad for your body to lie on your back, that you will go dizzy and feel very sick, because thats where the blood supply is diminished first. The baby will be ok because the body protects the baby by making sure that you are affected first and you will know about it! So she said that as long as I didn't feel dizzy or sick then it was ok. She also said that being propped up by a couple of pillows was fine as well, it's just lying completely flat on your back that does it.

HTH

Helen xx

Hi

Now and again I do the same, fall asleep on my side as can't sleep on my front anymore which is my fav position to sleep in but anyway I wake up on my back and occasionly wake up grinding my teeth as well, not sure what thats all about. I personally wouldnt worry too much about it, I've done the same thing with all my pregnanies and not been a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back