sleep positions?

sarahdee

Reaction score
Im in a bit of a panic, I have been sleeping ok but find that i wake up on my back and my breathing is heavy, the strange thing that wakes me up it are the dreams im having at the time. It has happened to me twice and
i am really worried, am i harming my baby?

I don't think that you would harm your baby in this way. Your baby is pretty protected by aminonic fluid, and dreaming won't harm your baby in anyway (I used to have nightmares when I was pregnant with my first that my daughter would be born without a head which would wake me in a sheer panic but she came out fine).

You will find as you get bigger though that you might not be able to lie on your back at all unless you are propped up into a nearly sitting position as your baby will press on the main artery to your legs and make you breathless. But either way you will move long before any damage is done and you will both be fine.

I would assume that as long as you are getting enough fulfilling sleep that you are actually helping your baby rather than hurting it. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I really identify with the insomniac thing. Recently I've been waking in the early hours needing the loo and then haven't been able to get back to sleep properly. (I'm not helped much by the fact that my fella snores. Very loudly.)

I find that I can't sleep on my front anymore (my natural sleeping position, normally) as it's too uncomfortable, so frequently end up on my side or back instead. But nothing seems really comfy, which is a bit concerning as I'm so early on!

I can't lie on my front either at the moment...It's too uncomfortable... Feels like I'm squashing my stomach and I feel sick....The 4am OMG-I-Need-To-Pee-thing is getting old very fast!

Is sleeping on your front ok? That is something I have been worrying about?
xx

Thanks that has put my mind at rest!!! I can :sleep: in peace!!! hehe
xx

try not to sleep on your back if you can help it. The reason you wake up breathing heavily is because the uterus can press on the main vein (the vena cava) and the main artery (the aorta). This restricts the blood flow around your body and can restrict the blood flow to the placenta.

The best position to sleep in is on you rleft hand side, this maximises the oxygen flow to the baby.

You probably won't harm it by sleeping on your back, but it is a habit that's worth getting out of asap as it's quite a no-no ater in pregnancy.

K.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back