Side sleeping babies?

SaraLouise

Reaction score
Hi ladies, just looking some advice really..

Harrison is a week old today & he only ever settles on his side. I always put him down flat on his back, but he manages to turn himself one way or the other every time!

So my question is, do I wake him & turn him back, or do I just let him sleep like it? Midwife & Dr Google seem to think that by letting him do anything other than sleep flat I am putting him in danger, but realistically do I spend my whole days/nights waking him just to get him on his back?

Its really difficult to know what's right?!

This is what I woke up to this morning...

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373621199916.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373621199916.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 70
I have no idea but just wanted to say that he quite possibly the cutest thing ever!

Hes super cute, congrats!

personally i think id leave him, hes not on his front and theres nothing to suffocate him at the sides...But thats just my opinion.
Have you got an angelcare/sensor mat monitor which could give you a bit of reassurance that hes ok?

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

Thankyou - I think so too even if I am a little biased hehe!

Yeah we have an angelcare sensor mat, but because he is very light (5lb 12oz at birth) and the mattress we bought is very heavy it doesn't recognise when he is on it so just keeps going off!

I am leaving him at the moment but I'm just not sure!

Aww he is extremely cute :) I have no advice either sorry... my mum told me I was a full on tummy sleeper when I was a baby and I seem to be okay now I'm a grown up though :) xxx

tapatalking x

Jack automatically rolls onto his side when you put him down and always has done. I used to put a rolled up cellular blanket from his belly to his feet so he couldn't roll onto his front. It stopped his snoring so I was pretty happy about it! Xxx

He's adorable!!! My little girl used to do the same. I personally used to leave her and she was fine. It's hard enough at the stage without having to wake them because they are sleeping in 'the wrong position!' But maybe that's just me. Ha ha.

Aww, he is the cutest!! I think if he's strong enough to be able to get onto his side, then I'd personally leave him there - he's obviously comfortable in that position. When our LO started turning and wanting to sleep on her front sometimes, I used to freak out, wake her up and lie her back on her back. She always looked so cross with me! It's not like you're deliberately putting him in that position - you can't really control what he does during the night.

Hi, my luttle 4 weeks old boy sleeps on side. I found him turned on his side while in a hospital when he was 2 days old. I freaked out thinking someone gas turned him on his side, but nurses told me its ok, some babies do that. Just feeling proud how strong he is;-) When i let him sleep in my bed next to me, he manages somehow to get very close to me if i have left a gap. Little whiggler!!

Oh wow, that looks really good. I will definitely look into it, thanks x

He is gorgeous!! My daughter is a tummy sleeper has been since 4 weeks...the angelcare mat is amazing! So yes the nappy clip thing sounds like a great alternative!!

Firstly .... oh my days how adorable is your little boy! And i love the name ;) but then i'm bias lol.

My little boy loves sleeping on his side, but unfortunately he can't roll over on his own yet. I asked my HV about setting him down to sleep on his side and she said no not until he can roll himself. Seeing how your little boy is strong enough to roll himself over i wouldn't worry. There is no point in moving him onto his back if he's going to roll over again once you've closed your eyes!

x x x

Jack was a side sleeper from a few weeks old. I'd leave him if thats how he's comfy. Harry is a tummy sleeper, that's a whole other level of worry!!

He's a cutie! :) x

Babies "must" sleep on their backs.
That's what MW/HV has to say.

There's a group of ladies on here who have tummy sleepers that are perfectly fine.
If he's strong enough to get himself into that position, I certainly wouldn't worry.

He is absolutely gorgeous :) xx

I had a side sleeper from birth. Spent the whole 1st night in hospital rolling her over til the midwife came in and asked me what an earth I was doing and to let the poor child sleep! Lol. He'll be fine, but towel tip is good. xxx

He is absolutely adorable!

I have a tummy sleeper and at first I freaked out and kept putting him back on his back, but within 10mins he was on his belly again! So I just leave him to sleep however he's comfy xx

I'd leave him to it! My lo has always slept best on her tummy, we have an angelcare sensor mat so I have peace of mind and don't worry about it :)

Awwww he's sooo cute!! :) x

Tapatalking. X

Thankyou ladies :)

I just leave him now. I think he's going to be a tummy sleeper tbh he's so close to rolling all the way over, I'm dreading it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back