• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sick of team termination!!!!

I'm loving all the support you are getting on here!!! As Roxane 2 posts above says, people with downs can do all sorts and lead great lives! There a guy with downs who serves me at Sainsburys. I once went to help at a class for severely disabled children and came away loving them and really felt like they were perfect as they were.
Love and support to you from Devon xxx

Thats awful hun, i cannot believe 'friends' would act that way, people really have no idea what they are talking about until they have gone through the same themselves. real friends would support your decision 100%, i hope your OH tells this 'friend' of his exactly where to go

My best friend has a younger brother with downs and he is a healthy and happy teenager who is attending college, hope you are ok hun :hugs: you should be enjoying your pregnancy at this stage and not having all this hurt.

xxxx

Oh Hun that realy is sickenning behavious from so called friends, They should be there to support you in your decision, no matter what they would do in the same situation this is your baby not theirs I cant imagin how upsetting it must be for you

Hope they see sence and support you :) xxx

Keepontrying was just going to say the same as you....what would these people do if they had a child that had something happen to them after birth...just give it away, or not take care of it.

Like you say there's nothing more that you and your OH will have been thinking about ever since you found out there was a high chance of being a down's baby (I've been reading oyu other posts!)...its your choice at the end of the day..the people that love and respect you and your OH will stick by you..the rest aren't worth bothering about.

Are they people that have had choildren themselves?

your friends should be offering you support, obviously it will be hard work looking after a disabled child but if its what you want to do then they should support you all the way. lots of people with downs lead a good life and i hope your little girl does also x

When I was in my second year as a student midwife I worked in the Neonatal unit for a month. I looked after twins that were born at 32 weeks and the little girl had downs syndrome. To this day I have never fallen more in love with a little baby as much as I did with her. She was such a little character and she melted everyones heart who saw her. In the 4 weeks I looked after her she went from being fed through a tube to breast feeding and behaved like every other little baby does. She was a gorgeous little miracle and I will never forget her. I had never even thought about having a baby with downs before then as I was quite young but that experience cemented the fact that no matter what you're faced with you get on with it and carry on. I totally 100% agree with your decision and real friends will stand by you too. I am sure that your daughter will melt everyone's heart as much as this little girl melted mine. xx

thats terrible, your lil daughter is gonna be gorgeous and will cause you so much joy and love you so much. in that respect there is no difference. ppl with downs see the world in a unique and enchanting way and really make you appreciate all the little things in life that can make you smile. life expectancy and other problems arent such big issues any more so really i wouldnt see it as a reason to abort either. its ridiculous how selfish and narrow minded some ppl can be. its not whats best for the child so why do it?
glad your happy with your decision hun and i for one support you 100% and know you will enjoy every minute with your daughter.

I would be telling those 'friends' to leave you and OH to decide what you want to do with YOUR baby, I haven't had the test because to me it doesn't matter- i wouldn't be able to do that to my baby.
My college teacher has a disabled child due to lack of oxygen at birth, she told us that no matter how perfect the doctors say the pregnancy is something can always go wrong at the last minute and there is nothing you can do about it, so even if you had the test and came back low risk that isn't to say the baby wouldn't have problems because of something else.
Your four year old will love its little sister lots, kids don't care if someone is disabled or not or if they need attention kids adapt and love them just the same.
You and your OH have enough to think about and organise without your friends butting in all the time, I would tell them all to come back when they are in your situation and then they can have a view but until then keep there opinions to themselves!

Personally i think that downs syndrome children are some of the sweetest kindest most adorable children there is. xxx

Aww huni its terrible youre having to go through that, those so called 'friends' should be supporting your OH not hammering on about aborting youre much loved baby girl. Tbh Id tell them to piss off and cut them outta my life if I was u.

We havent had the screening tests either as no matter what I wouldnt terminate, as I personally dont believe in it, although I have had friends that done it and I supported them as it was their choice. Ive worked with special needs children and I can honestly say they are such a joy, they really appriciate the simple things in life, and make you as an adult appricate it too. DS people can lead full lives, and have even been know to get married and live indepent lives to a certain extent. I very much admire youre and youre OH choice as youre love for your little girl has no flauttered because she has DS. Youre friends need to be more supportive. Best of luck chick xxx

I wouldn't be classing them as friends tbh, I'm sure that you and your OH have already thought this through and all the possibilities. At the end of the day the decision is for you two to make not for others to judge. I guess that's the problem when it's not something that is highly recognised in the media.
Hugs to you. x

I'm so sorry that some ignorant individual(s) are daring to question your decision..............how very dare they :wall2:

It's not for them to decide what's best for you, your OH and your baby and if they were true frends they would totally respect and support your decision fully.

My Mother used to volunteer at a Special needs centre so from very young I was lucky enough to be able to mix with a very special bunch of people and appreciate their absolutely wonderful characters!!!

I think it is absolutely pathetic that someone believes themself to be qualified to judge a decision that you and your OH have made. I would be spending no time at all worrying about small minded self-centred people like that!
You've made the same decision that many of us would make in the same situation; I certainly would not let DS stand in the way of my baby being born - healthy, wanted and much loved.
You just ignore the people who don't matter and stay strong with the people who do.
xxx

It really is such a difficult situation to be in and I honestly don't know what I would do if I was in your shoes right now.

I agree with what others have said though and I personally wouldn't class these people as friends. Friends are meant to be there for you no matter what and respect your decisions in life and support you through them, not try to essentially kick you while you are down!

I was so sorry to read this. I can't believe people are so ignorant and insensitive. I don't know how someone could be so dismissive of someone elses child, its beyond me. This is your baby, who you love more than anyone. So called friends that don't offer you support are not friends, forget them hun. You and your family are what matters and of course your lo, who is very lucky to have such loving parents :hug:

We didn't go for the screening either because we feel the same way.

xxx

Last edited:
So horrible of them! I just don't know what to say!!

:hugs:

I'm sorry that people are making a difficult time harder for you. One thing I noticed is that a lot of the girls on this thread said they didn't have the downs syndrome screening as it wouldn't make a difference and I totally understand that decision. Me and OH also don't believe in abortion for our baby if something was wrong (that is not to say I would judge anyone who did it is a personal decision) BUT we did decide to have all the screening tests and that is because if something was wrong I would like to have time to research the condition, find support groups and do whatever I could to be ready to give the extra special baby the best start in life. By finding out your daughter has Downs you have plenty of time now to get lots of support (I'd try proper support groups rather than ignorant friends) and learn whatever you need to know. Good luck.

we didnt have a choice about the screening, they do it routinely here, but i agree with mustard, i would've like the time to prepare myself mentally before the birth.

there is no way we would've aborted Pip if there was something wrong, it's my baby regardless of what is/isn't wrong with it xx

some people are disgusting. really makes me angry for you. they may feel like they are trying to help and thinkning of you, but its really insensitive and a very personal choice.

me and my OH decided not to find out because we would love our child no matter what, so i completely see where your coming from, but we had people thinking we were a bit silly and should be finding out. its such a personal choice, and one no one takes lightly, i think people should keep their thoughts to themselves and rsspect the couples decision.

im so sorry people arent being a bit more sensitive, this must be such a hard time for you. best wishes to you and your family :hugs: x x x

I am sorry people are saying these things to you. People don't understand that the moment you get a positive on a pregnancy test you are immediately in love with your little one. Those with ds lead very happy fulfilling lives. In the end it is your decision, and nobody should be trying to tell you what you should decide at all. You have so much support here! Big hugs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back