Should I buy a new mattress?

CorrieFan

Reaction score
My sister has leant me her Moses basket, including sheets and mattress, which is lovely of her. She had her baby in January and he was HUGE (10lb something) so he was only in the Moses basket for about six weeks before outgrowing it.

Now I know they say you must buy a new mattress if you have borrowed a Moses basket but do you think it counts in this situation? Maybe I'm foolish for even thinking of using my sister's mattress, I don't know.

Cheers for any advice x

I'd be interested to hear answers on this too, as I have been leant my nephews moses basket.

I've got a moses basket that my nephew used last year & I was going to get another mattress for it. In saying that I also got his pram & I wasn't planning on getting a new mattress for the carrycot bit of that, maybe I should thou :think:

It says in the boots pregnancy book to always buy a new mattress for each baby even if it was from your last baby-
but i was given a moses basket and it had only been used a couple of times i bought a new matress and it was the wrong size so i took it back and they didnt have the one i wanted so i just left it in the end!
I think its probably best to be safe and get a new one i think they are like a tenner in mothercare-
because its a cot death guideline just better be safe! :hug:

Im getting my sidters moses basket, im not going to bother with a new matress.
I know its history and that Caira only slept in it a handful of times.

TBH they are a bit crap anyways, moses basket mattresses. Very thin and board like :| I can understand why babies don't like lying on them.

If the baby was heavy I'd go get a new one. It's only foam so will have adjusted to the baby shape with the weight on it.

I used to use a pillow in ours also when LO was in his during the day and evening. Much more comfy and he was happy settling in there. I'd only take it out at night when he was snug in his sleeping bag but he always noticed the boardlike feeling and fuss. Much preferred to be cosy on the pillow.

And yes, I know the advice about pillows. But tbh a newborn baby does not roll or move and the pillow was not deep and squishy, just flat and softish for him to lie on.

Thanks girls, love the advice I get on this forum.

Listening to you all, I've decided to plump for a new mattress. I want my baby to be safe and have lots of comfy snooze time :sleep:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back