Shes sleeping all day and awake at night

mrs_tommo22

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to get her to switcxh cos its exhausting me and her dad, i know shes only a few days old but i want to start sorting this out now so i can sleep at night instead of the day!

I cant remember how i did it with stephen

yh constantly wake dont let her sleep,my friend is having the same trouble, she constantly pokes her, shaking rattles in her face! It has worked!! Its just patcience good luck x

The older women in my family swear by this---(you may want to do this with your OH) hold your baby securely and gently turn her over like she's doing a summersault. Apparently it's supposed to trick her body into knowing day from night. If that don't work, then do what the other ladies said. :lol: LOL.

I wouldn't personally advise trying to keep her awake, we tried this once with Lib, and she got so overtired she wouldn't stop crying and was inconsolable - ended up driving her around in the car to settle her.
Make a definite difference between day & night, even with night feeds, keep the lights low, don't put TV etc on, she'll soon catch on to the difference. During the day when she naps (bear in mind she'll sleep up to 18 hours in any 24 hour period) keep the TV on, go about your daily tasks as normal, keep the room bright etc.
As you say she is only a few days old, and it may take her a week or 2 to work it out :hug:

Hi Sarah,

My daughter did this for the first couple of nights too - and I spoke to the HV about it as I was exhausted after labouring overnight then getting no sleep. Apparently this is something a lot of newborns do for the first couple of nights, then they settle down - the third night onwards was great for us - on night three, we actually panicked as she slept for 5/6 hours straight!

My HV also said that until they are 5/6 weeks old that babies have no memory (until their brain pathways start to join up at this age) so there is no point trying to do the bed/bath nighttime routine thing - but the lovely bit about this is that until this age, you can't spoil them so give them lots of cuddles and comforting!

Hope this helps! Congratulations again!

Valentine xxx

mags said:
The older women in my family swear by this---(you may want to do this with your OH) hold your baby securely and gently turn her over like she's doing a summersault. Apparently it's supposed to trick her body into knowing day from night. If that don't work, then do what the other ladies said. :lol: LOL.

OMG after reading this ang then going back to bed, I dreamt my Mum was flpping Seb over. She held him upright an onto one leg then just pulled his leg up fast to flip him round :rotfl: (dont try this at home lol)

Hey Sarah, I found that if I tried to keep Seb awake he would be cranky most of the night becasue he was so tired then he would not go to sleep till the early hours . He has now sorted himself out though. Still has a dodgy night like this morning. 4 oclock as per normal, after a feed and a change, he decided he was going to be wide awake and sit ther coo'ing and smiling at me till half 6. managed to get an hour in though and are now we are both awake. I am bloody knackered I might add :lol:

Im having the same problem with maddi and shes now 4 weeks old .

Shes sleeps all day and then wakes up at around 11.30pm and then shes wide awake till about 8.00am in the morning .

All I ever heard was 'sleep when baby sleeps', which makes complete sense but not always possible :roll: BIG hugs mrs_tommo22, she is still tiny and will hopefully soon get more sleepy at night, I do hope you find time to rest, and that you're both doing well :hug:

My little one was the same, I think all new baby's are for the first couple of weeks . The one thing that saved our sleep and sanity was a brilliant book called Baby Secrets by Jo Tantum it's gives you lots of tips on waking your baby and also on how to get some sleep. What I did was feed her every 3 hours starting at 7am (time it from the start of the feed to the start of the next feed), even if she is asleep (only during the day) make sure you wake her up for a feed. I always used to change my girl's nappy 15 mins before a feed which would usually wake her up. Eventually your baby will start sleeping less during the day.

There are loads of other tips in the book and routines which you can follow. I put my little girl on one of the routines in the Baby Secrets book and she became a dream baby ! Every mum needs this book in my opinion :eek:)

Hi all i finally got a grip on the problem that was my DD! I spoke to the /mw yesterday and she said its cos imogen is sleeping too much during the day and missing feeds out and not taking enouigh milk and to wake her every 3 and a half hours for a nappy change to wake her up and a bottle.
Did this yesterday and she was an angel last night, she still woke up every few hours but at least we slept in between and we both took turns in feeding her.

So im hopnig to carry this on and it will carry on working!

angelfairy said:
...was a brilliant book called Baby Secrets by Jo Tantum it's gives you lots of tips on waking your baby and also on how to get some sleep.

We used the same book and it was really good. I just wish that it went a bit further / there was another one which covered problems once you hit teething and dropping breast feeding etc. However I would also recommend it.

:hug: Mrs Tommo. :)

It must be quite hard keeping a tiny baby awake when they want to sleep. I know George takes a while to settle last thing at night. He also seems to want to be awake at midnight! But I keep putting him down in his cot, just patting him when he cries, offering a dummy etc. I keep the lights in the room dimmed for the last feed too so he doesn't get confused.

The only time I feel I should wake him up if he's napping is early evening (like now)... after 2 hours nap I think he'd better wake up a bit else he'll not take his last feed on time or go through.

:hug:

Yeah shes not too bad in all honesty, I get her up every 3 hours and in the evening after her bath she has her awakey time as we cqall it then settles down for bout 10.30 11 0 clock. but still gets up every 3 hours which is fine as me and hubby take it in turns

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back