she won't eat my food!

Suzie and Faith

Reaction score
We got a pot of cow and gate apple puree free from the asda cafe, thought i'd try her with it. She loved it! Ever since (over the house move) she has been having pots of fruit puree.

Now we're a bit more settled I wanted to make my own...

I cooked an apple, pureed it and tasted it - tasted nice, i didn't think it tasted any different to the jar but would she eat it NO. I've tried fruits and veg and if i've made it she won't eat it :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

any ideas?

Oh and if i offer her finger foods she gags (no matter what it is!) and throws everything back up

Suzie and Faith said:
We got a pot of cow and gate apple puree free from the asda cafe, thought i'd try her with it. She loved it! Ever since (over the house move) she has been having pots of fruit puree.

Now we're a bit more settled I wanted to make my own...

I cooked an apple, pureed it and tasted it - tasted nice, i didn't think it tasted any different to the jar but would she eat it NO. I've tried fruits and veg and if i've made it she won't eat it :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

any ideas?

Oh and if i offer her finger foods she gags (no matter what it is!) and throws everything back up

Probably a stupid question BUT did you steam the apple first (or cook it in some other way)... ?

Also Flod wasn't really ready for finger foods until about 2 weeks ago so I wouldn't worry about those until she starts actually grabbing stuff and chewing it. Does she have teeth yet? xxx

I put in a saucepan and cooked it with a little water (what Annabel told me to do :rotfl: )
Then I blitzed it.
It was nice! I liked it :rotfl: :rotfl:

Nope, no teeth :D
She is a gummy bear :D

She is good at picking the food up and chewing but she will always gag :(

I'm thinking of turning into a jar mummy for now... lol

Could it be that she recognises that its not from a jar ie its in a bowl? :think:
Dan sometimes won't eat things from certain bowls even though its food he loves!

Suzie and Faith said:
I put in a saucepan and cooked it with a little water (what Annabel told me to do :rotfl: )
Then I blitzed it.
It was nice! I liked it :rotfl: :rotfl:

Nope, no teeth :D
She is a gummy bear :D

She is good at picking the food up and chewing but she will always gag :(

I'm thinking of turning into a jar mummy for now... lol

Gagging is quite normal when starting on solids and chewing food. Please take it as a good thing as it shows she is chewing things and if they are moving too far back before being chewed she is gagging and therefore not swallowing unchewed food. Galen gagged a few times on things and babies need to learn this in order to eat solids and to recognise how it all works together.

Also when weaning babies often take a while to actually eat food. Its not a bad thing. Galen sometimes won't touch his meal in front of him (ok not often but sometimes it does happen) and I never stress about it. I just carry on and leave him to it. If he is interested he'll pick something up in the end and give it a bash. As to if he eats it all, its up to him.

With regard to pureed apple, often it can depend on the type of apple. I tend to use Braeburn for Galen when I stew it. He likes it. In the beginning though he wasn't keen so I left it a week then tried it again. He tucked in then. I also mixed it in with natural yogurt and he loves that. Then slowly went to giving him just plain stewed apple.

I don't know if you are mixing BLW with purees but if you are are you letting LO feed herself with a spoon? Might be worth a go and you have one also. She'll make a mess but you can pop a spoonful in in between. Or load the spoon and let her put it in her mouth (what we did with Galen in the beginning and now he tries to do it all himself). Also please know she won't be hungry if she doesn't eat meals at this age. Babies main source of nutrition is milk still. Food is more for exploring and getting used to than anything else atm. So try not to get stressed out by it.

I'd suggest making some of your own spag bol (or cheese sauce or some such) and use the pasta twists so LO can grab them. Add a bit of spag bol sauce (not huge lumps of mince but more the sauce and small bits of meat) and mix it all in. Pop it in a bowl for her and sit and eat the same together. Don't take much notice and just let her get on with it. Sometimes Galen gets stuck with a bit of pasta in his hand and I hold it so he grabs it from me, but otherwise let him do his own thing. Or try another simple meal she'll be able to get her hands into and taste. We tried cottage pie the other week. Made 3 portions for Galen and he had 2 in one sitting :roll: :lol: Loved it. He also had beans on toast and enjoyed it. Or try roasted veggies for her to nibble on. Simple things you can eat with her. We cook chicken in strips for LO now and have veggies with it. He tried rice the other day and wasn't keen but had a go. I never get disheartened if he doesn't eat something I've made and simply chalk it up to experience and try again another time.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to talk some more about weaning and foody things :) I've some simple food ideas you can try and am happy to help if I can :)

Hi, perhaps it was the texture of the apple, your LO might not be keen on the lumps? Or it might be because it wasn't as sweet as the jar one. My LO hates cooked apple on its own and always pulls a face at the sour taste. So I add a tiny bit of youghurt to it and she wolfes it down! :D

have you get any empty baby jars - maybe try and fool her :rotfl:

Just offer homemade if you can and nothing else, she'll soon get back into it. :)

Dont really know what to suggest about not wanting to eat your food but maybe the jar has added sugars to make it more appealing and sweeter???

Try not to worry about the gagging its normal, Maia gagged at everything for the first week of solids and now she is gag free :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back