• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Settling LO

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
Tyler won't sleep unless he's being bounced in his bouncer, in the buggy or being fed (and rarely mainly at night on my shoulder being burped)

Should he not self settle by now? He does it at his 9 am nap about 59% of the time if he's really sleepy when I put him down.

I can't see it being good for him not laying on his back for his naps?

Any tips???

It would be good if he could settle himself, but he is still very young, so don't worry too much. I think they advise you to really start training them to settle themselves at around 3.5-4 months.... G just started doing this

How do you go about training them? Phoebe is 12 weeks old today and still needs motion or a feed to settle x

As far as I know babies can't always self settle until about 6 months. Obviously some can before but by 6 months they all should be able to. Drake doesn't yet naps in his bouncer but needs to be rocked in my arms to sleep before he Will go down. Night Will be fed to sleep and then is in his hammock so he's never on his backunless he's playing!

Georgia who is ten weeks can self settle if I catch her after the first yawn! Too early or too late and it doesn't work for naps. Plus I eithe leave the light on dim for her to look at in her room or if she's struggling to settle often it works if I put her Moses basket in the same room as me so she hears me pottering around. That doesn't work when eldest is around though! With my eldest we used to have to put the music on her monitor on to get her to sleep. As others have said I wouldn't worry about it yet especially as this age as sometimes they will do it an sometimes not!

With Lexi I have to time it right, if I dont get her when she is just getting sleepy she fights it and I have to put her in her pram.
I have bought a hauck sit and relax for Lexi and the seat goes right back so when I see her rubbing her eyes, I switch on the white noise and put the chair back and she will go off on her ownx x

Angel is hit and miss a lot of the time. I could put her down for a nap wide awake and she will just happily fall asleep by herself within a few mins but sometimes we have to rock her first or cuddle her. I read somewhere that once a baby shuts their eyes it takes around 20 mins to fall asleep (deep sleep) so we usually pop her down in her cot or swing when she's had her eyes shut for like 5 mins or so. So she's still half awake but able to settle herself into proper sleeping. I don't let her cry out or anything yet but if I put her down on her own she'll just stay awake and look around and doze off eventually lol xx

Its hit & miss with Kayden too & same as M2A I have to catch Kayden when he's not too tired. For example, he had a nap today at 11, and was a wee bit too late in getting his next nap (due to me being busy) & didn't try his nap til 1.30 which was a bit too late & he cried for 2 hours solid. Screaming his head off, and that was with me rocking him, eventually he went off to sleep & with the next nap about an hr & half later, he went down w/out even crying. Kayden is terrible when he's over tired.

Only advice I can give is just to lay LO down every cpl of hours to get him used to being lay down, even if he doesn't sleep, he will eventually (even if its 2 days down the line) sounds like he needs to get used to laying down during day

Good luck
xxxxxxx

Its hit & miss with Kayden too & same as M2A I have to catch Kayden when he's not too tired. For example, he had a nap today at 11, and was a wee bit too late in getting his next nap (due to me being busy) & didn't try his nap til 1.30 which was a bit too late & he cried for 2 hours solid. Screaming his head off, and that was with me rocking him, eventually he went off to sleep & with the next nap about an hr & half later, he went down w/out even crying. Kayden is terrible when he's over tired.

Only advice I can give is just to lay LO down every cpl of hours to get him used to being lay down, even if he doesn't sleep, he will eventually (even if its 2 days down the line) sounds like he needs to get used to laying down during day

Good luck
xxxxxxx

You're completely describing Angels behaviour!! She gets terrible when she's over-tired and she'll take forever to doze off and gets so distressed. It's usually the only time she ever cries properly :( so I usually do what littlemiss said and put her down 1.5-2 hours after she's woken up even if she hasnt shown signs of tiredness, usually she'll go down well. Or if you try and settle as soon as you see the first yawn or eye rubbing :) so I completely agree with the above advice, saves them getting over tired and distressed xx

When I had my hv visit she said babies are born being able to self settle and we stop that reflex by rocking them etc :-(, she showed me that Dylan can but I can't get him to during the day since x

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

my mum can put sophie down and she will settle and go to sleep but with me she screams! At night I put her down half awake after her bottle and with the mobile on and after a couple of grunts and some squirming shes asleep.

I cant believe I spent basically all of my 1st LO's baby years thinking she was just a whingey baby. She must've been shattered. I spent all those years with thinking that she'd sleep longer at night if tired. I tried a cpl of days to get her to have more than 1 nap & I kinda just gave up. Once I figured out the overtired thing with this LO, I started straight away & tbh, Kayden has been brilliant, but it was a few days hard work to get him used to it. He's alot happier now!!

I even had to explain the over tired thing to my parents, who've had 3 children, my mum still couldn't grasp the concept that he sleeps better the more he sleeps

:roll:

So I've tried
White noise
Womb noises
Putting him down in the cot
brought him a swing
But the only thing that works is his bouncy chair!

Any luck getting him to settle better?

Dylan has got worse :-( I put him in bed and he will just lie there wide awake forever...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kynon just doesn't bother with naps!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen