Seriously Aneamic!

keelie_b

Reaction score
been do doctors again, i now have to have my blood tested every week. Tablets dont seem to be helping. Apparently iron levels shouldnt drop below 10 and im just less than 9, and my other levels, something beggining with F (ferrafin ferra...something) shouldnt drop below 15, mine are 3 :shock: !!

Im feeling it aswell im close to being delirious with tiredness. I've even cut down how much i drive because i actually felt my eyes drop shut on the road yesterday that really scared me.
Its not as if im not sleeping though, im in bed by 9 and sleep until 7, also have a quick nap on my lunch and after work i just cant shake it off.
Anyway, doctor says if my iron hasnt picked up by next week, i'll have to go in every day for an iron injection :(
What happens if it gets worse?
doctor also said my iron levels arent dargerously low to baby yet, YET!!??
I've just been given stronger medication for my back pain as well, the side effect - drowsiness :lol: im going to sleep the next 10 weeks away.
Theres not really any point in this post to be honest, think i just needed to get it out and writing things like this help me process the information.

awww hun :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

i really hope your iron levels pick up and you dont have to have the injections...

Aw sorry to hear you're feeling so tired - I was found to be a little anaemic myself (on iron tablets 3 times a day - black poo!! :oops: ) - no where near as bad as you're suffering tho.

Just to say don't forget to try and boost iron naturally in your diet as much as you can! I go for fortified cereal and lots of spinach and red meat - and raisins! But don't worry about the baby - as the doctor says you will be the one to suffer as the baby sucks your iron reserves down - they are keeping a good eye on you!

Hope you feel more perky soon!

Yes and also take vitamin C or drink lots of ornage juice etc as it helps you abosrb the iron!

:hug: :hug: :hug: I really feel for you! I was anaemic with my others but not so bad! I hate anaemia!

thanks for replying everyone i will deffinatley try everything you've suggested. I did research foods with iron in but although im not vegetarian, im very fussy with meat and dont eat red meat which i know iis the best thing for it.
i didnt realise that raisins were good though, i'll buy a big bag and eat them tomorrow - if i can stay awake long enough to find a shop!

Any suggestions for the constipation? :oops:

awww sorry to hear this hun hope it picks up soon and you wont need the horrible injections every day :D

Thanks Emmie :) - by the way love your name, we'd chosen this name for a girl but wont be using it just yet!

keelie_b said:
Any suggestions for the constipation? :oops:
Orange juice!! Great for constipation and great for vitamin C!! :cheer:
Also all dark greens are fill of iron plus as someone said, cereal! I have tried to eat extra cereal this pregnancy and I havent been anaemic at all this time! :cheer: :cheer:

aww sweetie, hope it gets better soon :hug: :hug: :hug:

Aww Hun, hope it gets sorted for you soon. Another really good form of iron is Floridix, which is liquid iron and you can buy it from health food shops, and it is safe to take in pregnancy. :hug: :hug:

Stop drinking tea and coffee it interferes with iron intake, eat loads of dried apricots and all the mentioned veg.

Hiya hun,

Try not to worry too much. I was seriously anameic for a good few months with the crohns. The iron tablets didnt make me constripated as i had severe Diorreah but my poo was jet black!

There are a lot of iron rich foods but the medication is probably the best option. I know a fair few poeple who have had the iron injections and they said they werent too bad.

Im having my bloods checked next week and my doc already thinks im high risk to be anaemic due to my previous iron levels.. I could be in the same boat as you next week!

Claire x

anything 'ferric or ferrous' refers to iron so they prob just measured the different tpes in the blood, maybe soluble and in different froms or something, anyway, you just kep drinking irony drinks and eating good stuff, amazing how quickly the body can respond if you give it waht it needs!
good luck :hug:

Not sure if you like it, but try liquorice hun...its good for iron and also helps with the constipation. My mw swore by it :D

wow thanks for the support everyone cant believe how many replies i''ve got.
I didnt realise that cereal was a good source of iron but since i could eat solid foods i have had a bowl of cereal for breakfast every morning without fail. If im sick on an evening i usually have a bowl then as well so cant understand how i could have such low iron when apparently i eat a lot of it?

Some info for you hun:

WHAT FOODS CONTAIN THE MOST IRON?

High protein foods like:

Red meats
Liver
Liverwurst
Tuna fish-not in pregnancy
Shellfish- not in pregnancy
Egg yolks-not in pregnancy
Beans like lima, pinto, kidney
Peas such as green split, or lentils

Cereals like:

Total
Special K
Product 19
Oatmeal
Cream of Wheat
All other "iron fortified"

Other foods like:

Collard greens
Spinach
Kale
Turnip greens
Dried fruits
Prune juice
Molasses

WHAT FOODS HELP US ABSORB MORE IRON FROM FOODS?

When you eat foods that contain more vitamin C - like those below, you will increase the body's absorption of iron from foods.

Oranges or orange juice
Grapefruit or grapefruit juice
Tomatoes or tomato juice
V8 juice
V8 Splash juice
Strawberries
Cantaloupe
Kiwi fruit
Green peppers
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Cauliflower

WHAT FACTORS REDUCE IRON ABSORPTION?

Some compounds are found naturally in foods that will limit iron absorption. The following foods, when eaten in large quantity, may prevent iron from being absorbed from the foods you eat.

When you eat foods that contain more vitamin C - like those below, you will increase the body's absorption of iron from foods.

Whole grain cereals and breads - the phytates and fibers may block absorption
Milk and dairy products - the calcium and phosphorus may block absorption
Teas and coffee - Tannic acid found in tea / coffee may prevent iron absorption

hi keelie,im so sorry you are having to go through this,a girl at work (who gave birth yesterday to a healthy little girl) had to have one of the iron injection things and felt alot better after it.
hope you soon start to feel better x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back