self feeding.

angela-

Reaction score
:think: i was just wondering when did your children feed them selves with a spoon, Niamh is great at feeding her self finger food but not when a spoon in needed, have i been doing it for her too long? i just wondered because at nursery (not in so many words if you get me) they said she should be doing it her self.
i still blend sometimes too eg sunday dinner, lasagna (not lump free of course) should i not be doing this either anymore either? :oops: xx

Ellie is now feeding herself with a spoon with varying degrees of success. No prob's with weetabix,but a yogurt she only get about half of it actually into her mouth. Trouble is she VERY rarely lets me feed her now. Can't win can we?

I would suggest start by putting food on the spoon and handing it to her hand?

Ellie has also now started refusing pureed food completely, she really is miss independant. I would suggest give her food just cut up - then when she has eaten as much as she can, then purree whats left to make it easier on her?

Hi angela,

I've just moved this here as hopefully you'll get more replies.

Valentine xxx

Joe is about the same age and doesnt use a spoon. Mostly her finger feeds but sometimes he gets a wee jar which I feed him. I feed him yogurt and runnier things.

From what I remember, Jess was a bit older before she used a spoon, i was a wee bit worried but she started then it was fine. How about giving a spoon at mealtimes regardles of whether its getting used. She will soon get the idea.

I dont think a puree every now and again is bad, whats soup??
Sometimes my wee ones eating is that bad that I will do it just to get some food into them.

Aimee started feeding herself with a spoon about 10 months. She just decided one day that she wouldn't let us put a spoon in her mouth. I do think thats quite early though and she used to get most of the food all over her face.

thanks for the replies i will try your suggestions.

oh and valentine thanks for moving it to the right place chick xx

kellie80 said:
Aimee started feeding herself with a spoon about 10 months. She just decided one day that she wouldn't let us put a spoon in her mouth. I do think thats quite early though and she used to get most of the food all over her face.

Thats very clever. At least she had the right idea bless her.

I have heard that it is a good idea to start off with giving them a small bowl of food and a spoon of their own as well as you having some food in a bowl to feed to them. This way you know that they are still getting something if they throw theirs all over the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back