Screening for Downs syndrone

charlotteheys85

Reaction score
I had my blood test yesterday..

I had the worst night sleep ever, waking up every hour, having horrible nightmares,

OH beswaded me to have test, i wasnt kein on it.
But he said he'd worry throughout whole pregnancy, and if somethins wrong he wants to be prepared..

I know a positive doesnt mean your bubs has downs, But has anyone here had a positive bank, and went for the 2nd test?

I dont know why i'm soo worried, i just have this gut feeling :'(

xxx

I was told I was low risk for Downs and worrying about it is only natural :hug: I know there was one lady on here who went for the amniocentesis, I forget who it was :oops: , but everything was fine.

thanks for replying chick..

i dont know why, because normally i'm a really positive person, but just feel not so right about this..
i'll love my lil bean now matter what..

but its just preparing yourself for worst,

If it was completly up to me, i wouldnt have had test.. silly OH mythering hehe..

i got told no news is good news? meaning i wont find out about test results unless its bad news? was it same with you? xx

It's natural to worry but I'm sure you'll be fine hun :hug:
I was a bit apprehensive about the test as even if there was a higher risk I'd still have gone ahead with the pregnancy but my test results just came in the door this morning and I'm low risk so glad I did have the test as it's one less thing to worry about now.

Sarah x

I had a high risk result come back on my last pregnancy. its all dependant on your age, but anything that comes back at less than 1 in 250 is considered high risk and they get you back in and offer amnicentesis.

At first we decided not to have the amnio, but our baby had other problems and we ended up having one anyway. But in the end she didnt have Downs, but a different chromosomal abnormality which wasnt picked up by the blood test.

This time around due to my history I had the amnio without the blood tests and all came back fine.

Try not to worry too much, The test has been done now, its best to put it to the back of your mind for the moment and just get on with things. :hug:

Remember that the blood test is just a screening test and that any results will just give an indication as to whether any further diagnostic tests may be required. If you do need any more testing you will be given counselling by the hospital to help you make any decisions, and you dont have to have any further tests if you dont want to.

But I do know that the waiting is the worst part. but try not to get stressed.

Tracey xx

I think I got a letter about 2 weeks after the bloods. I'm sure they said they would have called me in before that if there was a high risk though. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long hun :hug:

Your only young Charlotte! I know there is still a chance, but on average, you have about a 1 in 1500 chance of carrying a child with Downs syndrome! (if I remember the chart right?) Try not to worry hun! :hug: :hug: :hug:

My results came through last week after waiting 2 weeks. The midwife put a letter through the door while I was out saying that I had a 1 in 250 chance of Downs and that my AFP was raised too :shock: . They had booked me a scan for the next day to check for abnormalities but I spent the whole night absolutely distraught.

As it turned out the midwife had made a huge booboo on the letter and it should have said 1 in 250,000!! There was no abnormality detected on the scan and the sonographer said the high AFP was probably due to the fact I had a bleed less than a week before the blood was taken and apparently this can affect the results.

Even though I had a real scare I'm glad that I had the test done as I can now relax.

:hug:

As others have said, it is a low risk.

I'm 32 and I opted not to have the Downs screening done. I didn't want to risk the amnio and I knew that if the baby was downs I would not terminate.

I can totally understand anyone having the tests though.

It does come into my mind sometimes but I try to just think "what will be will be" but that is just me

Dawn

I have opted not to have the test too! I asked OH and he felt the same as me luckily! And if Im honest, I dont really ever think about it! I know if I would have had the test, and even if it would have come back lower than what my age says I would have worried that they were wrong and that I would be that small % etc so I thought there was just no point or need to have it!
Like you said Daffodil, I do completely understand why others do though! I just knew I would worry more if I had the test!

girls thanks soo much for all your replys

really put my mind at rest a little more..

i just feel bad having the tests, as i know i'll love bubs no matter what.

I am young, (20) but its just i know a girl at 16, who had a little girl with Down syndrone, and it wasnt detected. She is happy she didnt find out, as she didnt know what she would have done, but now doesnt regret having her gorgeous daughter for the world..

i'm just a worryier hehe xxx

:hug: Hope your okay. You will love your babes no matter what you already do love him/her.

Does everyone get tested for downs? I wouldn't of had it done anyway as Daffodil says "what will be will be" but It was never discussed at any of my appointments?

nickilubs said:
:hug: Hope your okay. You will love your babes no matter what you already do love him/her.

Does everyone get tested for downs? I wouldn't of had it done anyway as Daffodil says "what will be will be" but It was never discussed at any of my appointments?

I presumed everyone gets offered the test? Thats odd that they didnt ask you?
Maybe its just different in different parts of the country!?
They said if I wanted it, I would have it done around 16 weeks!

Charlotte, dont feel bad for having the test hun! :hug: You have no reason too feel bad!
And try not to worry as what happened with your friend must be very very rare! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back