Downs Screening - higher than normal risk

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by DaisyRose, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. DaisyRose

    DaisyRose Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Messages:
    1,011
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi everyone,

    Had a bit of a bad day today. The hospital rang to tell me that I've got a higher than normal risk of having a Downs baby. Apparently the normal risk for my age is 1 in 400 but apparently I've got a 1 in 42 chance!!! Spoke to the consultant later and he said that it wasn't the scan measurements but two of the levels in the blood test result.

    I've been offered the amno test but I really don't think I want it! There's a 0.5 percent risk of miscarriage but he did say that it may be slightly higer for me as I m/c last year. My partner has left it to me to decide. The thought of having a Downs baby terrifies me as I already have two very demanding girls, and I don't know if I or my partner would cope as we've both had problems with depression. However, I've seen the baby on the scan and even have a picture of it's little face, and I've also seen a programme that featured a 16 week abortion and I really don't think I could do that to my little-one even if it was - it's really against my principles! And another miscarriage would be terrible - I'd never forgive myself!

    Has anyone had this happen to them? I think I am going to refuse further tests and hope for the best (afterall, as the consultant pointed out, I've got a 97 percent chance of having a normal baby)! What would you do?
     
  2. Sophie1102

    Sophie1102 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Messages:
    897
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you couldn't go through an abortion if there was anything wrong, and really don't mind if the baby has a disability or not then don't go for the amnio, if your thinkg the opposite of above then you should have the amnio so that you know,

    my friend was told her chance was 1:71 from the 12 weeks scan and had the amnio 11 days ago, she said was wasn't very comfortable but they were really good and stopped when the baby moved, they didn't take any chances, she got the results back today and everything is ok so they don't have to worry about it anymore.

    Good luck with your decision x x :hug:
     
  3. Tillytots

    Tillytots Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2007
    Messages:
    4,885
    Likes Received:
    0
    :hug: :hug: :hug: what a hard decision hun

    I agree with Sophie. Id probably wan the amnio to prepare myself either way else the next few months would be so so difficult not knowing. 97% chance though is very high and even if you have the odds of 1 in 300 squillion there is always that 1 chance it could be you or me or anyone. Good luck in whatever you decide hun :hug:

    x
     
  4. *Cupcake*

    *Cupcake* Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2007
    Messages:
    651
    Likes Received:
    0
    These tests have a high rate of being wrong. My aunt was told she was very high risk of downs and her baby was just fine (appart for being a very cheeky 12 year old now)
    Me and my OH had a long talk about this before we had the test done. The blood test seems to cause more harm then it does good from all Ive heard.
    An amnio would give you a 100% answer that could be great news or life changing news.

    You have to decide whats worse, not knowing for the rest of your pregnancy and worrying or knowing 100% for sure which could lead to further worry or relief. 0.5% is a very small risk, but a risk is a risk. Im sure we all take bigger risks every day like crossing the road. I personally would have the test to prepare myself.

    Im sure your little one will be just fine.
     
  5. Geordie&Bairn

    Geordie&Bairn Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    Messages:
    5,968
    Likes Received:
    0
    I do what is best for you and your family i think from what you have wrote you love this baby regardless and i know you will love you baby with or with out Downs. Ive worked with children with Downs its not the same as being their mum. But it gave me an insight and it would not scare me as much. 97 precent chance the baby will be fine sounds good to me. I opted out of both the blood and amnio test i would not risk misscarige.
    All i can do is give you a great big hug :hug:
     
  6. muppetmummy

    muppetmummy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    Messages:
    8,996
    Likes Received:
    0
    Like others have said the tests do have a high chance of being wrong. My aunty was told her baby had downs (15 years ago) but refused any further tests which the doctors weren't happy about. Her baby was born perfectly healthy.
    I hope everything goes well for you, it does sound like a tough decision. If you're already sure that you wouldn't abort maybe it's not worth the risk having an amnio :hug: :hug:
     
  7. Suzie and Faith

    Suzie and Faith Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2007
    Messages:
    5,151
    Likes Received:
    0
    First of all :hug: :hug: :hug:
    I'm not sure what you should do but keep in mind there is a 41/42 chance your baby will not have Downs. Also, there is loads of support out there and Downs children can live very normal lives.
    I can't imagine how hard it is for you, go with your gut instincts.
    Good luck whatever you choose, and remember we're all here if you want to chat xxx
     
  8. debecca

    debecca Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Messages:
    4,374
    Likes Received:
    0
    1 in 42 = 2.3% chance of your baby having Downs, 97.7% chance of it not (to 1 decimal place)... personally if you're anti-abortion I would take this risk as being tiny and not have the amnio. However, the others are right and there is definitely some peace of mind to be gained from having the further test, particularly as you are 42 TIMES more likely to be told your baby is fine than not!

    A hard decision anyway - best of luck :hug:
     
  9. Charlie:-)

    Charlie:-) Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2007
    Messages:
    2,555
    Likes Received:
    0
    When I spoke with my midwife about what screening I wanted doing she said that the triple test was only 50% accurate but if it came back high risk & I decided to have the amnio test then the accuracy was 95%.

    IMO the triple test isnt very accurate and if you want to know for certain whether your baby is at risk then go fgor the amnio test.

    Also aks yourself what would you do with the information from the amnio test? If the answer is nothing then is it worth the risk of miscarraige?

    Very hard decision, if I was in your shoes I wouldnt have the amnio test because like you I wouldnt be able to abort the baby if the result was bad. Many downs childeren lead very happy normal fulfilled lives and I think you will be amazed at how you would cope with this situation. Also remember that the test os only 50% accurate and there is still a high chance your baby will be normal.
     
  10. BeckyJ

    BeckyJ Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    Messages:
    3,544
    Likes Received:
    0
    :hug: its a hard desicion hun, big hugs x
     
  11. DaisyRose

    DaisyRose Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Messages:
    1,011
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Everyone,

    Thank you so much for all your replies and support. After thinking about this really carefully and speaking to my partner and Mum, I called the hospital yesterday to tell them that I wouldn't be having the further test, but they are going to give me a more detailed scan at 20 weeks, and maybe one at 16 too (am waiting to hear back).

    I've really thought about this and there's no way I could abort a 17 or 18 week old baby - they had a programme on tv a little while ago about abortion and it was absolutely horrendous at that stage (I've got no prob with early abortions, don't get me wrong). There's no way I could do that - at the end of the day it's my child and it's my responsibility to look after it, whatever happens! So anyway, I thought the amino wasn't worth the risk if I wasn't prepared to abort - the doc said the risk of miscarriage may be more for me as I've had one before, and I would never forgive myself!

    As the doc said, and someone else said here - the odds are still extremely high that I'll have a normal baby so I am just going to try and be positive, and if the worst happens we'll have to cope with it.

    Thanks again
     
  12. paiges_mummy

    paiges_mummy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Messages:
    930
    Likes Received:
    0
    ive sent you a pm hun :D
     
  13. Sherlock

    Sherlock Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Messages:
    5,887
    Likes Received:
    0
  14. muppetmummy

    muppetmummy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    Messages:
    8,996
    Likes Received:
    0
  15. lizzymd

    lizzymd Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    Oh what a tough decision, if it wasn't neck scan but bloods they can be wrong.

    My son is DS, I was low risk. We found out 2 days after birth. He is a joy to be with even though hes going through terrible 2's just now and is into everything, constantly misbehaves and tries to do a runner everytime door is open.

    Hes no more hard work than a "normal" child, I coudl go on and on about him but what mother wouldn't boast about their child.

    Good luck in whatever you decide but a downs child is special gift to your family.

    If you get the chance have a look at www.upfordowns.co.uk
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice