Any tips for keeping nails short?

Rosebay

Reaction score
Hi again!

it is a nightmare trying to keep Elliott's finger nails short and as he has some dry itchy patches on his face at the moment it's amazing how he manages to scratch himself with the smallest amount of nail. I've tried using clippers when he's very sleepy but I can't seem to get the nail easily and I'm worried about nicking him. If I try and peel them off I seem to end up taking a bit too much. Filing seems to be the only way I've found but it takes a long time by which point he's realised what I'm up to and is wide awake again- aargh! While I am trying everything to make his face less itchy I don't really want to put gloves on him either as he's only just started using his hands to grab and manipulate and I don't want to discourage him. Any ideas? What do you all do?

Thanks!
+++

This might be stating the obvious but have you tried boots baby nail clippers. The difference between these and normal ones are quite significant.
Good luck

Laura.

Sorry if this sounds a bit yuk but when Seren is feeding I bite her nails as am petrified that I will cut her fingers off (I am a bit clumsy). I even bite her toe nails, which I never thought I would be doing :D :shock:

Your mean - hmph (why is there no sulking smiley???)

*goes to sulk in corner*

I actually tried biting her finger nails but it didnt seem to work. One thing she did though was mimic me which wasnt good as Im a serial nail biter and my nails are hideous :?

Same here, have been for years and years. I cheat though and get my nails done so it stops me biting them. I was really worried about scratching jher so have them quite short but she looks like Freddy Kruegar has been at her face as she keeps scratching her cheeks. I feel so bad when I see them but she hates her scratch mitts.

I cut Naomi's nails in the hospital before anyone told me I wasn't supposed to... and I cut the top of her finger - PLUS the side of one of her nails got all infected and didn't clear up for about six weeks.

But I waited till she was asleep in my lap today and I did all her nails. She didn't even budge, so no worries about being clumsy.

Sue

HI i cut Kiaras toe cuz one of her nails grows up, and tried biting them but i cant seem to do it very well, so im gonna try to file them tom.
Katrina

When my son was a few days old, I was absolutely horrified when his dad's nana proceeded to start nibbling at his nails when she was holding him :shock: I had mentioned that I was scared of using clippers, and she obviously thought she would show me how to do it before even suggesting that I do it!

However, I then discovered that nibbling them myself was actually the easiest way to keep them short so, in the end, good one Nana :D

We were told at mother and baby group never to bite your babys nails as there is more bacteria in your mouth than anywhere and it can cause infections in your babys fingers

Ella scratched her face quite badly last night in her cot, think that's probably what woke her up.

Her nails are too short to cut with scissors/clippers but they are very sharp. I haven't got very far with nibbling them either :? Guess I will have to try filing them at some point.

beanie said:
Sorry if this sounds a bit yuk but when Seren is feeding I bite her nails as am petrified that I will cut her fingers off (I am a bit clumsy). I even bite her toe nails, which I never thought I would be doing :D :shock:

I do that too, last thing at night during the last feed, when Dom is tired :)

Yummy Mummy !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back