Scan/full bladder

HollyHobby

Reaction score
Hi all, well tomorrow I am getting my scan and I've read that a woman couldnt get one becasue she didnt have a full bladder (?)
So is it important to have one, because the doctor never mentioned it to me, and do they mean just have a drink beforehand or nearly bursting?

Hi hun is your scan internal or external? I know for external ones they require you to have a full bladder but not sure about interanl ones i dont think you need a full bladder for those. :) :hug:

hiya hun well i had a external scan and thats when you had to drink loads (like a pint of water a hour b4) but if you have a internal no, infact when i had one i was told to empty my bladder, i hope this helps do you have any idea what type of scan your having tomorrow? i'd expect a internal one (they arn't as bad as you'd expect)

having a full bladder pushes everything up and makes it easier to scan.

I was told not to wee for 2 hours before hand and that helps fill it up :think: i took a bottle of water with me, and sat waiting sipping that.

I don't know what type I'm having, but at a guess this early, and with a possible tilted uterus (i've got one of those funny cervix's so guessing a high probablity to a tilted uterus), I'd say probably an internal one.

I think I'll go needing a wee and then ask what kind, then I can always pop to the loo, then i've got both covered.

I'm getting really nervous now. I've fought to get it and now i'm like ooh I don't know!! :?
Whatever they tell me, as long as they can tell me something, will be a relief.

aaah glad someones pointed out why u need a full bladder. me and my oh were wondering about that!

I've also got a tilted uterus and it never made a difference with my "normal" 12 & 20 week scans but when I was having an early scan they did do an internal as you get a better view apparently.

Either way I would have a bit to drink - you can always go and have a wee if they ask you to!

I've been before mine told to drink a pint an hour before so I tend to not drink much before that so that I'm only bursting right before the scan. If it's internal you're right you just need to go to the loo and empty it.

What time is your scan tomorrow? I'll be thinking of you

:hug: :hug: :hug:
+++

im glad youve managed to get an early scan luv at least to put your mind at ease so you know whats going on in there.

what time is your scan? ive got mine tomorrow too at 2. :hug: :hug:

Becky hope you dont mind me asking but do you also have a retroverted cervix too? Do the 2 go together?

I think thats what they are called, it's when it goes one way when it should go the other way. I only got told this when i had a smear.

2.30 rosebay and kayzee at the rvi epu. My doctor says they wont see anything as my number should be 1000 and it's 51.1, she scares me that woman does :x
but if my theory on ovulating twice and conceiving twice in one month is correct and had a vanishing twin, then 51.1 is fine according to a chart i found and would put me back a week because I did get a very early bfp on the 22nd (8 days after bd with ewcm)and i didnt quite believe it that early, then got bfn's and possible bfps's, right up till the 30th when started getting all bfps (14 dpo according to calculators) would explain a dip in number. you have to admit it's a good theory!

Hmm, they've never commented specifically on my cervix other than to say its high and can be difficult to reach :think:

I was only told by chance at a scan when she randomly said about it but no information givien really. On the plus side I haven't found any problems related to it pregnancy wise so hopefully you'll be the same.

Hi Hun

Just wanted to wish you luck with your scan. It will probably be an internal one at this stage.

All the best hun :hug: :hug:

Good luck HH!!

Just knowing what's going on will be such a relief, either way (though obviously we're all hoping for good baby news!)

As we;re talking cervix's, anyone out there been told they've got an incomplete or incompetent cervix, or had a cervical biopsy and had a normal pregnancy?? I'm a bit worried i might have one.

Kate x

Hi, It will almost certainly be an internal scan if it is early. I had an internal at 7 wks and 10 wks. You don't need to drink for them. If in doubt phone your mw or the hospital dept they will tell you which one you are having. If you were havning an external scan then they would probably tell you to drink. I wasn't sure at the 7 wk one so phoned up to check. Hope all goes well tomorrow xx

Becky!! it sounds like you have the same as me! It took 3 goes to get my last smear done and 2 different instruments.
It helps if you have one knee flat on the bed rather than both raised (a little tip there!)
I also dont really feel much, if anything, in the missionary possition, just for for all your information :oops: which i think has alot to do with where the cervix is.

Anywayyyyyyyyyyy......

Kate I dont know anything about that, I think i read they could put a stitch in, dont take this as red as i think i only read that in passing and i'm not 100% on this.

Thanks for your well wishes, going to go back to bed for a sleep and will update you tomorrow
:hug: :hug:

hi
when i spoke to the nurse who was going to do my early scan at 7wks she said its an internal one and to have an empty bladder when i went, it wasnt too bad it was at 8am... just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world tomorrow and hopefully you will get some answers at last , thinking of you :hug: xx

I have my first scan on Friday and it said in bold on my appointment slip; A full bladder is essential for this examination. I'm worried about drinking too much and having to pee before I get the chance to have the scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back