Do I need a full bladder for 12 week scan?

JSS

Reaction score
Title says it all really...

I have my scan tomorrow and wondered if I need to have a full bladder. There is no mention of it in my letter from the antenatal clinic and the midwife didnt mention it.

Thanks!

Hi yep u sure do. they say to drink 2 pints of water and not go to the toilet an hour before ur scan.Good luck x

Interesting one this...

I posted up before that my scan appt letter said that you DON'T need a full bladder for pregnancy scans.

After advice from ladies on this forum I decided to disregard that and drink some water anyway.

But...

When I arrived at the clinic to say I had arrived, I saw a large sign on the wall saying;

'Pregnant ladies are requested to empty their bladders prior to their scan'

(or words to that effect)

So I pottered off to the loo.

I've no idea why my hospital don't seem to like it, maybe its to do with differences in equipment?

Yeah, same at my hospital. They ask you to empty your bladder before a scan.

Thats strange :shock: i have never heard of that before! ignore what i said then :lol: x

Strange..Maybe I will phone the antenatal clinic in the morning!
Thanks x

I was asked for a sample today so had an empty bladder for my scan, they did say if they couldn't see anything then if i'd give permission to do an internal one.

My last hospital I had to drink 2 pints of water and not empty bladder for hour before - this is to push the uterus up so the ultrasound equipment is closer to the baby. OMG - I thought I was going to explode by the time I got to the hospital and had no choice but to have just a little wee just to relieve a little pressure!

This time, different hospital, it states explicitly you need NOT attend with a full bladder. Also I had a wee scan at 8 weeks and it was very short notice so I had no time to even think about how full my bladder was, and they were able to find baby and zoom in without a problem, though the resolution was quite poor on the printout.

So perhaps it depends on the type of equipment they are using. I would check with the hospital but if they say you don't need an full bladder, then don't put yourself through it hun!

LBxx

Hi

Thats odd never heard of thate ither we drink 4 glasses 2 hours prior to scan then finish 1 and a half hours before appointment and nto to void till after scan... sometimes if its too full they ask you to let out only a little bit of pee...
Katrina

Its the same here. They say 2 pints at the 12 week scan and 1 at the 20 week scan. I couldn't hold it any longer on my 12 week scan and had to go the toilet and the pictute was fuzzy. Maybe there different types of equiptment.

I was told to drink a pint of water or three cups of tea or coffee before my early scan (at 7 weeks) and think it is the same for my 12 weeks one.

But i drunk way more and was in agony walking uo the stairs to the ultrasound room i thought i was goona pop or pee myself. :oops: So i had to go to the loo. But as i had drunk so much my bladder was full again when they scanned me!

So i went for a pee afterwards (what a relief), waited for my notes, went for another pee. walked to the car, went back in for another pee.

So i've learn't my lesson :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lau
xx

i was told to drink before my scan...when i had internal scans during fertility treatment i had to empty my bladder before i went in.

At my next scan I dont care what they advise, I am not drinking loads of water! I did last week for my scan and I was in agony, I had to get OH to ask the receptionist to get me in quick before my bladder burst :lol:

i was told to have a full bladder with all my scans (apart from my early ones as they were internal)

sarahxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back