Scan Date has arrived - Yay!

Mildly

Reaction score
Got my letter about my dating/12 week scan today :cheer: It is on the 22 February and I will be 12+2 :D

Rather annoyingly it is the week after my cousins birthday and I was hoping to announce to my side of the family then. But I guess at least I won't be stealing her thunder at her meal out (it is her 40th) :D

My letter says that I need to take out any navel piercings :( Does that include if I get one of those specific pregnancy bars made out of that special material? I have had it in for over 10 years so I'm sure it won't close up in the space of my appointment if they do make me take it out.

Also does anyone have a good drinking water strategy for before the scan? My OH will pick me up from work and we'll go to the hospital but I don't want to alert my colleagues by guzzling water prior to my appointment. I also don't want to be unable to keep still whilst have the scan done because I'm desperate for the loo :think: Also how much water is enough?

My last query is about the scan picture. My letter says I have to pay £3.00 per picture. It also says I'll need 3 x £1.00 coins for the machine? What machine? Surely the scan doesn't resemble having your passport picture taken in a photo booth? I have no idea what they're talking about? I don't mind paying but I will only be having one. I will use my Dad's scanner to make copies for the rest of the family :D I was wondering whether paying for scan pictures was normal or whether it is just my health authority?

Hey! Great news with the scan date!

I drank lots of water in the car on the way there... 2 small bottles (not sure how much that is exactly though :think: )

I had to pay £2.00 per pic at mine (Bedford Hospital).

xx

Could they mean a parking machine? And, that you have to pay £3 per pic?

Good luck, I can't wait for mine! :D

I think your supposed to drink a litre of water.

Good luck for your scan, I've got to wait until 12th March for mine and I'll be 14 weeks by then!

i was made to take my bar out but i can still easily get it in and out now so i woudlnt worry about that, just take it out for the scan and put it back in afterwards. I'm gonna swap to my maternity one after my scan next week.
Hope all goes well, hope to see pics

hey, i was told a pint of water before my scans.
I only had to pay £1 a photo!
But there is normally money to pay for car parking. xx

Thanks for the replies girls :D Maybe they have just worded the letter in a really confusing way and they mean the car parking machine - or I am having an attack of preggie brain :D I am off to see friends tomorrow, one of whom had her baby last June at the same hospital and if she doesn't recall what happens my other friend works there - I will send him off to do a reccie ;)

Thanks for the belly bar advice, I may do a test run taking it out and in :D I will may OH bring water with him and see if I can gulp it down! I will definitely post a pic :)

my letters have both said to bring money for a pic but they never asked us to pay, or gave me the option of having more then one photo even though i know she took loads, having said that the lady was horrible!!!

So exciting!
There will be a machine in the waiting area, this is were you put the £3 in once you have had your scan done. Think the reason for the machine is because they aren't allowed to take cash by hand in the NHS.
(I've tried scanning but doesnt seem to come out well on the three that i've tried, but has come out better on a camera phone!)
Mine cost £3 each in Colchester.

Hey congrats on the scan and best of luck. I drank a small bottle of water on the way to hosp for mine last week and thought I was gonna wee myself when she started pressing on my belly! Turned out ok though, and the scanner lady said my bladder was nice and full so I'd say a small bottle is enough. You are lucky at your hosp - up here the pics are £5 each and the car park is £2, so my appt cost me £12!! All worth it though...

Hi hun great news about your scan, it will soon be here now :cheer:

My letter suggests to drink between 2 / 3 pints of water prior to the scan, it suggests to start drinking an hour before the scan. The more you manage to drink the better and more clear the scan piccie is. I remember being really really desperate for the loo for my first scan last time, so much so that I couldn't speak to DH, plus he was annoying cos he needed the loo and kept moaning that all the toilets in the waiting area were for women :rotfl:

The sonographer takes images of the scan and arranges to have as many as you want printed out, you get given some coins if I remember rightly. I think mine is £3.00 too but I am getting one for us, my mum and dad and MIL & FIL too!! so I need lots of coins. You put the money in the machine and then wait for them, the reception will shout when they are ready to collect from them.

I had to take my belly bar out, but it went back in again straight after the app - so I am sure you will be fine.

Xxx

Wow thats same date as me. I have dating scan on 22nd at 9.30 am :)

When you get to the scan, there is a little machine where you put in your pound coins and if yours is £3 per pic then after £3 are put into the little machine you get a little sticker/ticket. Each ticket gets you a picture. NHS staff are not allowed cash.

We have to pay £2 per picture out here. The ticket machine for ultrasound pics should be located in the same department - thats what I have noted in most hospitals.

2 weeks today we have our scans!

I think the 'routine' is different depending on where you are because here we don't have to pay for the 12wk scan picture, and you don't have to remove pregnancy-safe belly bars :think: The car park is extortionate though :shock: £3 sounds OK to me. As for the water, here you are always made to wait a lot longer than your appointment time and so I tend to drink slowly in the car going, while walking to the appointment, then whilst waiting :lol: Once you feel you really can't drink anymore, just drink one more cupful and you'll be ready :wink:

Thanks for all the advice girls :D I will make OH come prepared with lots of water and will gulp down as much as I can hold just before they call us in :) Redshoes, I like that one more cupful advice. I hope they have loos right outside so I can run for it as soon as they've finished :D

Heh Neev, we can be scan buddies :cheer: In fact if I remember right we are technically due on the same day too. Although I changed my ticker to reflect my LMP date instead of my Ov date in line with the midwife. My Ov Due Date is the 6th September.

It is interesting the different amounts that people pay depending on the area. Also I think I might get three photos, one for us, one for his Mum and one for my Mum and Dad.

Brill news regarding the scan date :cheer: :cheer:

Defo wouldn't recommend starting to drink any water until you're in the car on the way to hospital, your bladder will soon fill up.

lol Mildly - that sounds great - YAY scan budding and also due date is gonna be the same I think. Bet you're a virgo too!

:cheer:

at our hospital there was a machine in the antenatal reception and you put your money in and got a token :D

Neev said:
Bet you're a virgo too!

:cheer:

Of course ;) Virgoans are the best ;) (And the most modest :oops: )

Thanks Bagpuss, I don't want to be too busy concentrating on not wetting myself during the scan :lol:

Babylicious, thanks. Did you get your token before the scan or did the midwife show you after?

Congrat on your scan date
luckly we got our scan pics for free both times :D
paid for the car park but wasnt to bad.

I drank water on the way in the car it's only afew miles down the road and topped up when i got there from the a water cooler.

Enjoy your scan not to much longer to wait :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back