ready brek??

petchy

Reaction score
i'm sure my HV said a few weeks back that it was ok to give ruben ready brek for breakfast, but...

...then i googled it and found an article that blamed ready brek (among other things) for the death of a 3 month old baby due to salt levels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/404667.stm

i was puzzled by this as RB has no added salt or sugar, and when i checked the pack there is less salt in 100g of RB than in the heinz farley's oaty porridge suitable from 4 months... (and the latter has added sugar too!) reading the article i think it was more likely to be the mashed potatoes and GRAVY and the other liquidises adult food that was the cause... what were they thinking giving a 3-month old baby mash and gravy???

so i think RB is prob ok - what do you guys make of all this?

hannah has had ready brek since she was weaned on hvs advice i think he will be fine infact i'm sure

I dont really see the problem with it. Like you say, that baby probably didnt take too well to the gravy.

I have given ready brek for about a year and have never had a problem with it.

I would just say check for gluton. If it contains gluton it is advised not to give them any gluton before 6 months.

it has gluten in it, as does the other cereal i mentioned. ruben is 6 months on the 8th and my HV said as there's no family history of gluten intolerance it's ok to slowly introduce it, along with dairy from 5 months - rather than just go "overboard" and full whack at 6 months. so he has had the odd bowl of oat cereal for breakfast and a bit of greek yougurt for pudding over the last week or so! he LOVES the yoghurt! i was surprised, as it's quite sour tasting!

I knew I heard that somewhere when we were talking about ready brek before on the forum! Felt like a right numpty when I posted about it :oops: As fair as I know it's fine to give from 6 months onwards?

Just editing to say I can't believe that they weren't given correct weaning advice by the HVs :wall:

Seren loves her greek yoghurt too, I also thought it would be too sour for her (she loves it with pureed apple mixed in)

just for info on the gluten side of things. i found this quite interesting - it seems if gluten is introduced whils the baby is still being breastfed, then the breastmilk can protect from coeliac disease:

Based on the research finding that introduction of gluten to infants while they are still breastfeeding might protect them against celiac disease, it has been recommended in Sweden since 1996 that gluten-containing foods be introduced in small amounts from 4 to 6 months of age (an age when most Swedish infants are still being breastfed). One clinical implication of the findings in the present study is that this would easily be achieved if gluten were given in the form of solid food.

i knew i'd read an article about this before... couldn't find it again so the above was from http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /107/3/e38

ah, found it! http://www.swedish.org/111415.cfm - so apparently gluten should not be introduced too early OR too late... but this study found no protective effects of BFing... arghhh, all this bloody conflicting information to take in!!! lol

oh and i forgot to mention that apparently oats are the best gluten containing cereal to start with, as it is the one with the least amount of gluten. then come barley and rye with a moderate gluten content, and on top of the list is of course wheat which contains the most gluten.

right, that's my share of www research for today! :rotfl: hope it was of interest to someone and that i've not just spent 20 mins on it for nothing... (i'm putting off doing the dishes! :lol: )

Hey there petchy i asked the question to my hv the other day on what would be ok to give frankie for bk'fast as the baby ceral is getting expensive to buy and she said that reddie brek and weetabix are ok to give as she is not that far of being 6 months anyway! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back