Safe pets while pregnant?

MysticKitten

Reaction score
So my job has just gone down to only being open 3 days a week. My partner is gone 10-12 hours a day. No family lives nearby. I really don’t have friends. I’m feeling very isolated. Are there any pets that are safe during pregnancy?

I can’t have a dog because of my apartment rules. I see cats are supposedly a risk for toxoplasmosis. Rodents are a risk for some disease… Apparently lizards and birds can both make pregnant women sick. My sister is fostering my guinea pig because I read how dangerous breathing their dust can be. But I’m so lonely…. Advice?

Awww sorry for the loneliness. I don’t have any pet advice, but I missed all that danger about the guinnea pigs!!! I had two, but very soon after we found out we were pregnant......my sister also adopted them.

Awww sorry for the loneliness. I don’t have any pet advice, but I missed all that danger about the guinnea pigs!!! I had two, but very soon after we found out we were pregnant......my sister also adopted them.
My little piggy was such a good boi and he’s actually thriving with more space with my sister. His name is Potato. Never thought I wanted a guinea until I saw baby him at the shop all by himself. I held him and it was over lol

My little piggy was such a good boi and he’s actually thriving with more space with my sister. His name is Potato. Never thought I wanted a guinea until I saw baby him at the shop all by himself. I held him and it was over lol
Awww....I know those babies are adorable....that’s how I ended up with two lol. I went back for a second one a year later. Mine are Chestnut and Peanut.

I have a cat and have had him for 13 years now. I could never ever give him up, he's the sweetest and cuddliest thing ever.

Cats are only dangerous for toxoplasmosis if you eat their poop, but I managed to keep away during pregnancy! :rofl:
I would be careful with his paws near my mouth and still cleaned his litter since the OH would never do it. I would wear gloves while cleaning and thoroughly wash my hands afterwards.

The danger about taking in a new animal is also allergies. Imagine you take a cat home and find out you're allergic! What would you do?

Maybe you could join a pregnancy swimming class or a labour/birthing class or pregnancy yoga. You can also still go to the gym! I would work out twice a week until I was 36 weeks along, just to keep busy and stay socially active.

There are so many things to do to make new friends!

Take care hun! We're always here if you need a chat!x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back