Safe cars for babies

Smileygirl

Reaction score
Hello, we're looking to replace our old banger and want to get one with safety for babies and fuel economy for visits to grandparents in mind.

Does anyone know of any good websites where you can check the safety and fuel economy etc of cars. I found a couple where they list the top ten cars for 2013, but we probably wouldn't be buying a brand new car. I was hoping for something a bit more comprehensive where you type in make, model, year and it gives you a mark out of 10 or something!

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for cars, please let me know! We're half considering a 5-door Smart car, but don't know much about them.

Thanks if you can help!

which?

we traded in my Nissan micra for a vauxhall meriva. for space and safety :)
x

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

Swedish makes (volvo) have higher safety rates because their safety laws are better, when we have the money we're going to try and get a volvo v50 diesel or a vw estate (thats because we have dogs as well) and my hubby says that slightly larger cars are more 'hard wearing' for a lot of motorway driving.

4x4s are usually a lot stronger in terms of accidents but a lot more fuel. if you dont want a big car just make sure its a 5door and i'm sure it will be fine :) xxx

Tbh you have to look at each car individually if you are buying second hand, fords are good and reliable, we had a focus when we first had h which was great with a huge boot, we now have a ford smax as we need more seats!
Xxx

Just don't get a beamer as there is a serious fault with their timing chains and BMW won't help pay for the £5,000-10,000 repair.

Not sure but was on watchdog in the week.

All cars now have an nap safety rating which scores passenger safety and pedestrian safety. We used what car recently as it gives this and a summary of known faults, pros and cons, fuel efficiently and general yearly costs per car type. You're best to have a look around and if you spot something you like then check it online. (Sorry for crashing in)

Just don't get a beamer as there is a serious fault with their timing chains and BMW won't help pay for the £5,000-10,000 repair.

This is misleading. I've just looked on the Internet and its only certain models manufactured between 2007 and 2009. I have a BMW 1 series. It's a great car but wouldn't recommend it based on boot size.

Tbh my dad had a new 5 series and it was constantly in and out of the garage with different faults, he got an smax in the end as got fed up but he was prob just unlucky as his 3 series he had before was fine (he only had it about 6 months tho)
Xxx

Hello, we're looking to replace our old banger and want to get one with safety for babies and fuel economy for visits to grandparents in mind.

Does anyone know of any good websites where you can check the safety and fuel economy etc of cars. I found a couple where they list the top ten cars for 2013, but we probably wouldn't be buying a brand new car. I was hoping for something a bit more comprehensive where you type in make, model, year and it gives you a mark out of 10 or something!

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for cars, please let me know! We're half considering a 5-door Smart car, but don't know much about them.

Thanks if you can help!

As someone who used to work for Mercedes-Benz i can highly recommend the smart.... they achieved some of the highest safety ratings available... they are very economical and very safe....
My Dad and I always use this site for cars.. it covers used as well as new http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/

Tbh my dad had a new 5 series and it was constantly in and out of the garage with different faults, he got an smax in the end as got fed up but he was prob just unlucky as his 3 series he had before was fine (he only had it about 6 months tho)
Xxx

I've had my car for 4 years and apart from new tyres, servicing and mots its not cost me a penny. Your dad probably was just unlucky!

Xxx

I've had my car for 4 years and apart from new tyres, servicing and mots its not cost me a penny. Your dad probably was just unlucky!

I think he was tbh!
Xxx

My oh is getting me a range rover vogue, they look like the safest thing on the road ever! Any newer car is quite sturdy x

Thank you very much for all your suggestions ladies, very helpful. And Seonaidmac, thank you, that website looks brilliant! Good news about Smart car too :) xx

My oh is getting me a range rover vogue, they look like the safest thing on the road ever! Any newer car is quite sturdy x

They should do, we would have to sell our house to buy one! Lol! A range to re sport would be my dream car!
Xxx

Reckon my old landrover discovery is pretty safe, cant get enough speed up to do any damage to anything or anyone! :lol::lol:

We had quite a nasty crash in a discovery and we were fine, such a good car. We had a vogue but it was so expensive to run and if anything goes wrong, you probably need a spare grand in the bank. They are amazing though, especially the heated seats lol xxxf

Oh has BMW 3 series and its fine for what we need with lady m.
I have a new shape cords and again plenty room and reliable :)
People will have different opinions in what's good etc x

We also have a BMW 3 series, we've had it a year and its been brilliant and gets great safety ratings. Am panicking a bit now reading this though because its a 2009, think I'd better check to see if its affected by the fault :roll: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back