Sad day

OverTheMoon

Reaction score
Thank god for this forum, i can post things that i can't even tell my family or friends.
I saw a psychiatrist today after a referral from my doc yest. He has prescribed me with xanax for depression/panic attacks. I didn't realise i was depressed but now i am being honest with myself i've not felt good for weeks. Apparently the tabs are safe to take in the second tri, i have to take one a day and then another as and when needed, when i feel the onset of a panic attack.
I am so embarrassed. i never even told my husband how i was feeling but now i've told him what the doc said and he was really shocked. He is away on business and i am at home looking after my 3 and 1 year olds with a stinking cold.
Will things ever get any better? I just can't seem to stop crying at the drop of a hat at the moment. I am so tired i just want to hide away in bed for a few days but i have to keep going for my babies.

Mate you've done the hardest thing and admitted it - millions of people out there are depressed but won't admit it and therefore can't get help. Well done you and I hope you're feeling better soon. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

no need to feel embarrassed. Pre-natal depression is almost as common as post-natal depression - when you think about, you're coping with a lot physically, plus all the hormones, and if, on top of it all, you're far from family and friends, with 2 small children to look after, and a husband away a fair bit, it's not really surprising you're not feeling happy/optimistic/excited all the time.

Even those of us who aren't depressed will admit to feeling down from time to time, I'm sure. I spent half an hour crying on Sunday just because I can't wear my nice clothes any more - how sad is that?!

At least you now have help, and now your husband knows, he'll be able to look after you and maybe take some of the pressure off you with the children too. Well done for going to the doctor - it takes a huge effort to make that first appointment. Never be too proud to ask for help when you need it! :hug:

If someone had a urine infection, and needed antibiotics to make them better, you wouldn't think they needed to be embarrassed. It is the exact same - you have a chemical imbalance that needs sorting. The exhaustion and tearfulness are the symptoms of that illness - they are not a personal shortcoming. You have done exactly the best thing for you and your family. It will take a couple of weeks for the medication to take maximum effect, so don't be scared to ask for more help in the meantime - that same as you would if you had a cold or any other illness. Well done for seeing your Doctor and hopefully you will start to feel better soon. :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: and a big one of these :cheer: for being brave enough to admit it. There's nothing shameful or embarassing in being depressed at any time of your life, especially not in pregnancy when you've got all the additional hormones to cope with. One in four people suffer from depression at some point and it really is as much of an illness as anything else. Glad you're getting looked after now and hopefully things will start to pick up soon.

Thank you all soooo soooo much for your kind words. Its kind of like i've opened the floodgates now whereas before i was holding everything in, but today it feels like i have not stopped crying (although not in front of the bubs)

As said earlier you've done the toughest thing about looking for help. It does get better from now on, and it sounds like your partner is going to be supportive. Although it might feel like a sad day when you reflect it will be a happy day full of change and hope xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back