Rubys first birthday, what shall I do????

Rubys mummy

Reaction score
Just got through Christmas, and back full time in work...been worrying about Rubys 1st birthday in less than 3 weeks. What the hell should I do??? We dont have the money to throw a big party for her :oops: (or the time to arrange it either :? )

Do you think it would be ok to have a small buffet at the house and invite family and few friends? We have a TINY house, so was just going to limit it to a few hours for people to nip in, open house?

I feel a bit guilty that I should be doing more for her 1st birthday :think:

thats we did and it worked well i personally think its silly to go all out for their frist birthday as one they wont really rememberit and two you will always be trying to compete the next year. i think you a nd your family would enjoy a get to gether like taht more and you will get a chance to share the day instead of running around like headless chicken :D whatever you do i hope you have a great time :hug:

that is what we did for Louies 1st birthday in september, i did some food/decorations & people just came when they felt like it, although i did the cake at a certain time & made sure the really important people were there to see that.
saying that we had visitors from 11am through til 8 pm & i was knackered & didn't really get to appreciate Louie coz he was always doing something with someone else :( & then when everyone had gone it was bedtime!
i think if you set a sort of time limit that people will be gone by, then deffo do it at home, then later on you can have some proper time to celebrate Ruby's big day just the 3 of you :D
hope you all have a fab day :D :hug:

yeah the lil buffet idea sounds lovely
as long as she's made a big fuss of, she wont mind how u celebreate it :hug:

That sounds like a great party idea hun! Exactly what I wana do for Libby's 1st birthday, just a small social gathering with people coming and going for a few hours :D

You could print pics off from over the last year as decorations as well as cutting some number ones out of coloured paper to hang around the place.....I think it'll be a brilliant day for you all.

I can't believe she is nearlly one!! I remember the weeks in the run up to her arrival when you were overdue, and every day I was so eager to see if you'd popped yet......and every day you were still waiting!! I felt so frustrated for you :hug:

I have the same problem....I live in a little bungalow and my grandad is in a wheelchair so I just didn't have the room. We are just having a finger buffet on Sunday but I'm having it in the local library meeting room as my house is just too small. It only cost £22 for 6 hours which I thought was great :D , maybe you have something like that near you?
A buffett at your house sounds great as long as your family get to spend some time with Ruby on her special day that's all that matters :hug:

Thats what we did for Aimee's 2nd birthday. We couldn't afford anything else plus the weather was awful. We just did a buffet and put on a lazy town cd and blew up loads of balloons, kept them busy for hours :D

She won't have a clue what's going on and she won't remember it-buffet sounds lovely,more of n adult party really

That sounds perfect hun! Its just what we done for Harrison's birthday, it was great we had it for a couple of hours, Harrison really enjoyed himself and afterwards Harrison was knackered! and dont forget she wont remember, its really for your benefit and besides you've got plenty more birthdays that you can throw parties for!

It sounds great! We won't be making a huge fuss, just family, a few friends, cake and decorations at home!

That sounds lovely Zoe - perfect and Ruby will have a lovely time with all your family and friends popping in. There's plenty time for soft play and swimmming/bowling parties!

Valentine Xxx

Sounds absolutely perfect Zoe.
I've got the same problem as you. What with Christmas, I just didn't think about organising anything and now I've got a few days left!
I think we'll end up going to a local children's farm as they have a nice tea shop and we can book a table there and have some cake. I'll just ask family and a couple of close friends.
Can you believe our little babies are going to be ONE???!!! :cheer:

Sounds really nice LucyBee, love the farm idea. Aw he looks so grown up just like my lil man :clap:

LucyBee said:
Sounds absolutely perfect Zoe.
I've got the same problem as you. What with Christmas, I just didn't think about organising anything and now I've got a few days left!
I think we'll end up going to a local children's farm as they have a nice tea shop and we can book a table there and have some cake. I'll just ask family and a couple of close friends.
Can you believe our little babies are going to be ONE???!!! :cheer:

I know, how FAST has this last year gone :shock:

Gorgeous idea too Luce about the farm, we have a little farm nearby too, so I might go for that next year but have decided to go for a family gatheirng here this year...got some helium balloons and gas from OHs old work today,and its a pink and lilac theme, got banners and balloons, going to print off lots of piccies of her from birth (thanks Em :wink: :hug: ) and do a buffet (mum coming to help) and mum is a cake maker so she is making a fairy castle cake in pink and lilac too :cheer:

I am going to borrow a friends small garden gazebo, put it outside the french doors on the deck and all the food and drink can go in there which will free up the kitchen/dinner so there wll be enuf room for people to mingle and kids to play :pray:

I am getting sooooo excited now :dance:

Thanks girlies, you are all so fab, your enthusium is catching :lol:

I will post LOADS of piccies

that sounds really nice what you are doing, more like a celebration than a party she wont remember anyway, wont be long before you are arranging her 13th! it flies by.x

I had a house party for Jakes 1st birthday. We had a buffet and the kids played pass the parcel, pin the tail on the donkey and musical statues(there were older kids at the party aswell). I invited friends and family and i think I ended up having more than 30 people in my little house so it was mayhem. I think that having a house party and inviting family and friends is fine for a 1st birthday party as they don't really know much about whats going on anyway. I wouldn't invite as many as I did though :lol:

I feel really mean but I'm not doing a party for Eefie. We don't know ANYBODY with a baby locally and his cousins are 15, 16 & 20! His other younger cousins are in south africa so bit of a long trip lol! We'll take him out for the day somewhere instead :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back