Returning to work Part Time

xkikix

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I worked Full Time on an IT desk withing a large office before Chester came along. My job was great but could be stressful, the pay was fantastic tho considering I had no real IT qualifications and somedays we only took 10 calls between 4 of us.

I'm trying to work out what to do future wise, whether to get an evening job or return to my old job.

How do I approach my boss about going back part-time. For it to work for me financially it would be best for me to work Monday and Tuesday all day as Chris's mum doesnt work these days and has offered to take chester. Then another half day where I could take him nursery.

Do I get to ask for certain days which i'd like to work?

I'm thinking if I see her asap then I can tell her my ideals and she can try and fit me in?? I wouldnt mind moving to another team ie phone orders or even normal admin as long as its on these days.

Are bosses normally accomadting with these requests do you find?

It can't hurt to ask. I was full time in an office before LO, going back part time and when I had a chat with my boss he was perfectly happy with my request to work mon, fri n half wed. Give it a go, your boss will prob be thrilled your coming back at all - mine is.

Hey kiki

As you have a child under 6 (I think this is cut off age although there has been talk recently of raising this age even higher), you have the legal right to request flexible working, this is quite a formal process and your work should have procedures (forms and guidance etc) for doing this.

I have to say though, you can request it (and in your request you can detail what days you'd like and the hours you'd like on those days), it is important to note that your work DO NOT have to give you it (but they do have to give a good business reason for refusing your request, which you can then appeal if you so wish). Some workplaces will only allow you to go back full time or don't give you the hours/days that suited (this is what happened to me).

This factsheet and this factsheet (both pdfs) from the Working Families website should help you too.

If I was you, I wouldn't say immediately that you didn't mind changing teams i.e. please don't give them a chance to demote you (if not in pay, but in status) as with all my various Mummy friends, this has happened to each and every single one of us and we now feel invisible (not to scare you, but its so common and its better to be prepared).

Do you know anyone else at your work who has young children or who has returned to work after maternity leave that you could speak to to find out how accomodating your workplace are likely to be?

Good luck! Let us know how you get on!

Valentine Xxx

Thanks for your advise girls, my boss is on holiday til tues aug 19th, so i think i'm gonna wait till the friday afterwards to arrange a meeting with her so she's hopefully caught up with all her post holiday stuff.

Do you think it would be inappropriate to take my baby with me? Everyone at work always takes their kids into work to see everyone tho

valentine said:
If I was you, I wouldn't say immediately that you didn't mind changing teams i.e. please don't give them a chance to demote you (if not in pay, but in status) as with all my various Mummy friends, this has happened to each and every single one of us and we now feel invisible (not to scare you, but its so common and its better to be prepared).

Thanks for this V, really good advise xxx

Great plan - let us know how you get on.

Got any jobs going, sounds fab? :rotfl:

Valentine Xxx

I went back to work part after having Lola and my company was great about it :D
I did have to change departments to be able to work the day/hours i wanted but i was more than happy with it as i much prefer my new job to my old one :D

I also took Lola into my meeting etc as i wasn't going mess around getting childcare for her for the hour as i didn't get paid for it and was going into work in my own time. They didn't mind though :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back