• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rejection - Advice

munchkin1982

Reaction score
So Layla has taken it upon herself now to reject me (the boob) for all her feeds bar first one in morning... :-( She already has 2 formula feeds a day as I am combination feeding but she has more feeds from me (and on demand etc) but, the last two days, she has made such a fuss about going on the boob :-( I've run out of EBM and I am now lucky if i can express more than 2oz from both boobs before I go to bed :-( Is it time to call it quits? Just to add... she couldn't be more excited to see me in the morning/want her morning feed off the boob but all other boob feeds seem to be a problem for her now :-( Any advice would be much appreciated :) xx

hey there hon
Wanted to reply as Owen did similar when he was 5 and half months. I found it very hard. It started off with rejecting afternoon feeds, then evening, then morning then finally the night feed dropped and that was it we were finished :( he was having the odd bottle of formula when with his daddy and one bottle of formula for dream feed. He knew it was easier to feed from the bottle lol!

He would scream when I put him to the boob! I'm happy with it all now but at the time got v emotional and upset as felt it wasnt my decision and had struggled so much with bfing in first few weeks I really wnated to do til he was one. But he loves his bottles and all good now. So basically all I would say is if you can keep going with the morning feed then all good but do what makes you happy and try not to feel the guilt! I found it much easier once I had finally accepted we were on the path to fnishing, sad though it was! not sure if that helps at all!! but that is our experience!

good luck hon x

This is almost exactly what happened with Isla - we were down to one morning feed until 3 weeks ago and now she is totally on formula which is actually going well.

I spent about 8 weeks expressing all her day time feeds which was hard work and in the end (after lots of deliberation and feeling guilty), we went over to formula.

Sorry - no real advice re: rejection. I think you just have to go with it and don't beat yourself up. It seems that alot of us on here have had a similar experience.

Same thing happened to me which is why I'm feeding EBM on all feeds bar her first morning feed now. You could probably get your supply up if you REALLY wanted to, but it's such hard work to be expressing every 2-3 hours so if she's already taking the formula ok then don't feel bad about going over to that :)

Well we only ever FF and we've got similar :eh: so I think its an age/teeth thing as opposed to rejection :) My lil man adores his morning bottle but the others are a struggle x

sorry for the late reply! thank you so much for your responses! It's weird how we are all experiencing the same thing huh? I did introduce bottles from the start (had no choice really as was made to express whilst still in hospital but I wanted to teach her to use the bottle AND breast feed!) but she has been soooo good at taking both. I have to agree with you Mamafy... thinking about it now, I think it definately has to be an age/teething thing.

I have just finished my nightly express session before bed and I have to say, it's been the worst ever express yet! I didn't even manage to get half an oz and that was across both boobs. :-( Having said that, I know for a fact that Layla is obviously able to get much more than that out but it is still a worry. I know she is happy on both formula AND breast milk, it's just that as Minchin says... I don't feel I have the choice to continue anymore now...

SPC, like you, I think I will battle on this week with the morning feed as I know she will still be "excited" to go on for that one (after a long nights sleep haha) and then I shall still try and express but if I have another night like tonight I would rather Layla be 100% happy on formula rather than it be a worry for me not knowing "has she had enough" (when she goes on the boob) and an even bigger worry for me when I express such "tiddly" amounts!.

Becky... I've tried everything on and off for getting supply up... fenugreek tabs, teas, eating tons of porridge oats (which i hate with a passion!)... admitedly I've stopped the teas and the fenugreek now but diet wise, i try my best! By the time I can afford to get anymore "pills" in I just fear it will be too late allltogether if you know what I mean? The stress and the worry of it all is not good for me, let alone Layla. Well done and "hats off to you" so to speak for being able to express so much and so regularly during the day. Unfortunately my days are very much tied up with feeding/playing/cuddling Layla as she fails to nap much at all during the day but I cannot complain at all as I get a 12 hour night out of her! Just need to learn to go to bed that bit earlier myself to actually benefit!

I know that I have given Layla the best start that I wanted to by breast feeding her (no offence intended whatsoever for those who formula feed from the start as it's each mum's choice etc) it is just a shame that it won't have lasted for quite as long as I had initially hoped...

Thank you for your help though in making me not feel like I was being "rejected". I guess its just "one of those things" ;-) xxx

Well done for doing it this long! 75% of britsh mums formula feed so any form of breastfeeding is an achievement! You have indeed given her a very good start as when they are so small breast milk is perfectly designed for them (which is a fact) so I think yOuve done very well. I say I'd like to do a year, but who knows, the same thing could happen to me too! I think you should be proud of yourself and your daughter xx

Thanks Lexi... I'm not "happy" about giving it up... I do really feel that I don't have a choice in the matter though. But as I've said, it will make everything so much better knowing that she is actually being fed so to speak. She had her morning breast feed this morning, but that was nearing on 16 hours ago. I have no tenderness or pains or engorgement in my breasts at all and no leaking even :-( (haven't had the chance to express today as have been out all day). It is sad, but as you say - I know I have given her the best start. And yes, I'm very proud to have breast fed her for this long... ;-) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back