Refusing solids

Fluffy Bunny

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone help?

For the past couple of days Evie is point blank refusing anything I offer her on a spoon. She flips out as soon as she sees it, crying and throwing herself around in her highchair, her mouth is staying firmly shut.

She will self feed herself finger food quite happily but to be honest not much goes down, most of it ends up on the floor, I love giving her the finger foods but have always supplemented them with purees for a bit of bulk.

I'm perservering but only managing 5ish spoons a feed (brekkie, lunch, dinner). I've tried giving her a spoon to join in, giving her toys to distract her, bringing the dog in for some comedy value (she loves the dog!) but nothing is working.

Is this is a phase they just go through, is it likely to pass? Should I sit for a hour each meal trying to get a spoonful in or do I give up straight away then try again next time??

Little minx!

:D :D :D :D

If it was me then I would just keep offering a variety of finger foods and let her get on with it - she wont starve herself and you might be surprised at how much she does manage to eat.

Hi

I agree kids wont starve themselves if shes eating somthing then thats better then nothing :)

Oh my God, Ruby is exactly the same!!! :shock:

She has always fed well off a spoon, she loves her food and I always give her some type of finger food with every meal, but this week she will NOT entertain a spoon AT ALL!! She shove it away hard wth her hand and turns her head away!! I have been covered in all kinds of food this week :roll:

She got 2 top teeth a few weeks ago, and it looks like there are a few more on the top about to come through so I dont know if maybe its something to do with teeth :think:

Rubys mummy said:
She got 2 top teeth a few weeks ago, and it looks like there are a few more on the top about to come through so I dont know if maybe its something to do with teeth :think:

Yes, Evie's been dribbling and playing with her gums loads at the moment so i think tooth number two is on the way. Would that stop her wanting food off a spoon though? I think we just have two independant little ladies :D

Since my post she's been a bit better. I've stopped giving her puree at lunch time and just let her get on with her finger foods. She now has milk earlier in the afternoon, around 3pm, and so she is hungrier at dinner time meaning she is throwing less of a hissy fit about getting spoon fed.

Ellie started doing the same thing when she was around that age (actually probably a bit older but I think she was a bit behind). Wouldn't let me feed her at all would only feed herself. I just gave her finger food in the end. Decided that as at that age they get the majority of there nutrition from milk still, that it would be better for her to be happy and not develop a phobia about food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back