im terrified of finger foods :(

smokey08

Reaction score
up until now, ive been feeding Mia purees, she absolutly loves them..
but shes now trying to take the spoon to feed herself and is trying to snatch food from our plates :)
ive been thinking of giving her finger foods but dont know where to start and im petrified of her choking! im so scared i keep putting it off! :((

You don't have to do it if you don't feel comfortable hun, I've learned if you're really anxious she will pick up on that; Angel definitely did. BLW wasn't a route I wanted to go down, nothing against it or against anyone who does it, I just didn't comfortable with it. But after I gave her a few finger foods she point-blank started refusing the spoon and purees. So I felt I had no choice if I wanted her to eat. I started off with toast and cut into chip sized pieces. In all the books I've read they recommend boiled or steamed veg like carrots or sweet potato broccoli etc, soft enough so you can smush it with your fingers. Broccoli goes down pretty well and it's so good for them too, Angel loves that and green beans at the moment :). But you do it as and when you're ready hun xx

I cant see the tickers so dont know how ild lo is but they recommend introducing finger foods with TW before 9 months i think. The earlier the better as they also learn hand eye coordination better. You can start with steamed veg, or those organix snacks.
You can find videoa on youtube of babies gagging so you know the difference between gagging and choking. Choking is very very rare.

They need to learn how to chew and push food out of their mouth; otherwise it will be much harder later.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks girls. Mia is 6 months old hun, id like to start finger foods just scared

Just do it when you feel comfortable hun :) I didn't give Angel toast fingers till 6.5 months. knopk mentioned those organix snacks, they're great, the carrot puffs are a firm fave with Angel and they melt in the mouth so maybe that's a better one to start with if you're nervous hun? xx

Thanks lauren, carrot puffs sound good, might buy th and give am a try Xx

My lo loved the carrot puffs!!!! I found sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower easier than carrot to begin with as it was softer. I found bread (not toast) took longer as it seemed to stick to he roof of lo's mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back