BLW after starting purees

Magic Monkey

Reaction score
We started weaning Ella at 5 months and have been giving her the usual purees, but she is so independant that she is desperate to feed herself and has a tantrum if I don't give her the spoon! I have given her banana in a Munchkin feeder but am far too lazy to keep cleaning them!

So can I now start BLW or is it too late as I have done purees? I have read the other threads and am still a bit confused. Also do you just give them anything, or are there things to avoid? Everything that I read about finger foods says nothing hard - but reading posts on here you lot seem to just give them everything!!! It is all so confusing :?

there's no reason why you can't do blw - ella's tongue thrust reflex ought to be established now - that's the main reason to wait until 6 months to start.

give her soft foods to begin with, and resist the urge to help. let her explore food and eat what she can (which might not be much at first, but it quickly improves). i started with banana and went on from there, letting him taste things and play with them. he gagged a bit at first but rarely does now, which is amazing considering how much he shovels in sometimes!

good luck.

Thank you, I have ordered some carrots to come with my shopping tonight so will give them a go tomorrow.

Now I just need to get over my fear of her choking!

Sweet potatoes roasted in big chip shapes are a great first thing too as they melt in the mouth. good luck :hug:

Thanks, she has tried carrots, strawberries, bananas, new pots and sweet pots so far, although she hasn't actually eaten much and spits out anything that she bites off!

She will get the hang quite quickly.

Raspberries are a huge favourite in our house too :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back