Reflux - How to keep baby upright after feeds

littlemiss83

Reaction score
Hi everyone

LO has severe reflux, I was given the advice to keep LO upright after bottles, hes nearly 6 m/o now and wriggles so much wen on my knee. he jumps around so much it can make him sick. what should i do now....were getting a high chair this week but not weaning for cpl weeks. could i put LO in highchair instead of my knee after his bottles?

thanks

xxxxxxxxx

Yes I would put him in there if it were me. I'd also get a couple of toys that stick to the tray ( Jack has 1 he loves) to keep him occupied while he's sitting there x

Do you have a sling? I quite often put Chloe in a sling after feeds to keep her upright.

Dont have a sling!!

He's gonna need to use the highchair when he starts solids anyway, so it may be the best option?

I'm terrified of doing anything with him after what happened.

xxxxxxxxxxx

im not sure what there callled but those little chairs that look like pottys might work? just a guess, Kayla suffers with reflux but is only 5 weeks so even harder to get her uprite anywhere other than on me

we kept our lo upright in her baby bjorn chair and a baby carrier, if she gets shuggled around even now she will still puke.

You're right littlemiss a highchair would probably be best for you. I'm sorry I completely forgot your LO was older.

I'll try the highchair when it comes & we'll see how it goes, there's no way i'm feeding him solids on my knee thats for sure so he'll have to go in it eventually.

Hugsy- those potty/seat things are bumbos, we have one & LO always escapes from it, we dont have a tray tho, wonder if that would stop him

xxxxxxxxx

I'll try the highchair when it comes & we'll see how it goes, there's no way i'm feeding him solids on my knee thats for sure so he'll have to go in it eventually.

Hugsy- those potty/seat things are bumbos, we have one & LO always escapes from it, we dont have a tray tho, wonder if that would stop him

xxxxxxxxx

It won't I had to stop using the bumbo at 5 m because she could escape so I bought a tray that lasted 2 days before she couuld escape x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

I'm really glad you posted that, I was gonna buy the tray but dont think i'll bother if it wont stay strongly clipped in. My LO doesn't want to do anything when it it, apart from escape, and the positions he gets into cant be good for his stomach

xxxx

I think high chair would be your best option, Kynon hated his the first few times until I gave him different toys to normal! He don't mind now as he likes food!

Thanks Sarah, it kinda makes sense that highchair would be the best, if you think about it, its the only place LO goes when they are sitting in a proper seating position, everything else is reclined slightly. or scrunched up at the legs (which is bad for his reflux)

Hows Kynon now, any improvement with night time?

xxxxxxx

Noooo! I've given up with sleep just now lol!
Was wondering how Kayden is when your in the car? I was getting quite paranoid not being able to see Kynon when we drove back from my mums today which is an 8 hour drive, kept thinking of you guys!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Sarah, I've not had him in the car seat!! I'm too scared, he's not even been out the house in his buggy. During the day he goes in his cot, buggy & my knee, no where else...poor wee soul. We did have him out in his car seat for 1 hour the other day (it was the car seat bit of the buggy) and he was fine, obvs we could see him so it was not so bad.

I know your LO doesn't have reflux or anything, but from what i've read, try and keep the car seat more tilted so LO is lying more than sitting as the sitting position can leave them squashed, does that make sense?

xxxxxxx

Yeah I know what you mean, its horrible making him stay in it so long as well but guess its only now and then and we stop regularly. Had a feeling you were going to say you hadn't been out, must be so scary and worrying. Are you still planning to return to work soon or wait a while? Will he outgrow this soon like normal reflux?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

How is he now LM? Have you seen anymore improvement recently? X

That looks really comfy Maria, too pricey for me tho. Plus its only up to 6m/o.

Sarah yeah I hope I can still go back to work, I cant put LO in nursery until this goes away, which they say is same as normal reflux, goes away as they get older. My OH works from home alot & has said he'll watch LO he has no option really as I need to go back to work to pay bills ect, so we'll see how it goes, tbh i'm not comfortable with the idea, I duno how OH can manage, esp coz Kayden is high needs with the way he's positioned, needs to be watched literally all the time ect, but we'll see how it goes, no option really!

Louise he's not too good, he went for almost 3 weeks with no reflux, he was on omezrapole & the new prescribed formula, so I thought we'd found something that worked, when It came back, doc gave me permission to double his dosage of omezrapole, but the same day he still refluxed so I duno if thats helped. Today has been ok, but I duno what to do tbh, docs said he's on highest dose & no other meds that are safe to give him, looks like going on a non-cows milk formula is the next option. But u can only get it on prescription. On plus side, finally i got a letter from kids hosp saying to fone for an apt (been waiting 7 weeks for this letter) so no doubt they'll do the tests ect & hopefully we'll get some answers & some decent advice! Hows your LO louise? Any improvement??

xxxxxxxxxxx

I really feel for you chick :(

You sound like you are doing fab and coping brill. It can't be easy and sounds very scary!

Glad you can finally have this long awaited appointment! It's a joke how long you have had to wait!

I am over the moon with Harlows improvement! It's safe to say she must be lactose intolerant. The doctors wanted to test her stools but told me I had to put her back on cows milk for 3 weeks before they can test. Told them no way! She's happy now and I'm happy now so I am no way taking two steps back just so you can confirm what I originally thought was the problem. I asked why they never offered me the test weeks ago when I had brought her into the doctors and hospital numerous times. He shrugged and said " I didn't think it was milk that was causing the problem "

She is still on her domperidone and renatidine as she still shows signs of reflux but it's nothing like it used to be. So long as she is elevated as often as can be she is happy. Her colic has been cured and she rarely gets trapped wind either. I think the milk change is the reason for that.

I hope you get answers and the right meds when you go to your appointment. Xxx

I'm so happy its working out for you Louise. Its still the soy milk your on isn't it? I was reading the other day that soy still contains some parts of cows milk or something like that?? I still need to figure out difference between CMA & lacoste intollerant. I wouldn't have done the test either, but I suppose its an option if things go downhill again.

I finally got an apt for the kids hospital, for 3 weeks time, that'll be 10 weeks i've waited for an urgent apt. I told the appointments woman that my GP had put thro for an urgent apt, she said that letter from my GP went to one of their consultants (with details of kayden's probs i'd assume) & their consultant has said that its NOT urgent. I said surely a baby going blue is urgent FFS. She said if its an emergency go to A&E...I said I have & they sent me home loool - I've got an apt with my GP tomoz & i'm gona push for non-cows milk formula, i've been told we've tried all the meds we can get.

Also been looking at paying for a private doctor. I'm just gonna hold off a wee while & see how we get on with this hosp apt. Dont wana fork out the money for nothing, when you look at the hospitals that the private doc's work in, its NHS hospitals some days & private hosps the other days. So it kinda makes sense to wait & see an NHS doc, if that makes sense.

xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back