Real Nappies

elliej

Reaction score
hi there, im 22 weeks pregnant, and trying to get myself organised for the first time in my life!! so i have a question
im very into the idea of trying real nappies, im looking at the Bambino mio reusable nappies that are available and just wondered if anyone had any experience with these or any other real nappies, which would you reccommend and what do you see as the pros and cons of using real, washable nappies.
thanks for any replies.

Have you done a search on this? there are lots of threads on real nappies, I'm not using them yet myself but hope to soon, it is sooo confusing, there is almost too much choice!
Lots of ladies on here do though, I'm sure someone will be along soon with more useful advice! :)

I have tried the Bambino Mio nappies and personally hated them. The wraps are sweaty and plastiky and the actual nappy bit looks like a dish cloth. I much prefer pocket nappies or weenees. I found the Mio's hard to put on whilst holding a wriggly baby and the nappy part still as there is nothing to hold it into the nappy until its fastened.

Hope this helps, i do know people who love them tho, i would say just buy one preloved one or something to try before you spend on a whole set.

I love the prefolds but find Mios a bit expensive for what they are. I don't find them fiddly but I'm using a combination of Kissaluvs and Tots Bots Bamboozles shaped nappies for when we're out just to save the pain of folding. We use Nature babycare disposables at night.

one of the pf ladies - lisa&alex I think - sells them. I'm sure she could help

I use prefolds - it was a kit called cotton bottoms from Tommee Tippee. They have stopped making it but there are plenty of companies that do prefolds and wraps.
I love my real nappies so much that I made sure the house I rented for our hols had a washing machine so she can still wear them. She usually has disposables when we are away (corn based ones though - not petroleum based) but even those seem to make her bum sweaty and they smell alot more than real nappies. I have a utility room which is great for drying if it is wet outside - so we haven't needed a tumble dryer. I have a good system set up with two lidded boxes under the changing table, one for wet nappies with some drops of tea tree oil, and one with a soaking solution for dirty nappies. I didn't bother with the soaking when she was younger as the nappies were washed every other day and b/f poo doesn't smell, but do now that she has fewer nappy changes and is on solids I find it better.
TBH - I don't think there are any disadvantages - yes you have to put them in the machine and then hang them out, but I only do it a couple of times a week and it takes very little time. Running in and out to the bin with a disposable would definatly take longer. The advantages are saving the environment, much reduced cost, healthier baby's bum. I have also started using reusable baby wipes as well - which were just cheap baby face clothes (6 for £1 in the £1 shop) and these are fab - much more effective and as you are washing the nappies anyway its not problem. I store them in a plastic baby wipe dispenser that came with the Bounty pack.
Anyway - thats what I think.
All the best
Andrea

I have Little Lamb microfibre ones and I love them.

I also have some Tots Bots Bamboo ones that I got given to me but I haven't tried them yet - they look huge

I had a good look at all the different ones when i went to the baby show and i was put off the mio ones as they look so fiddly! I ordered 20 of the bamboo nappies by lollipop as they look alot easy to use

i have to agree.. prefolds are handy as boosters.. but not much else.. even newborn i would find them useless. the poo would go over the side and onto the wrap.. get yourself some shaped nappies that are a bit more expensive individually.. but atleast you can sell them on after. noone bothers with prefolds as 2nd hand coz they arnt worth it. ive got some handy hints and tips on the site so take a peek even if you dont buy anythign you might find some usefull info xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back