Re-usable Nappies

xNataliex

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I wanted to ask if many of you are using re-usable cotton/terry nappies? I am considering this as an option and possibly using disposables for nightime/days out/hols etc. What do you think?

My mum raised 4 kids with Terrys and so I feel confident I could do it. She tells me there is a grant available from local government - anyone know anything about this?

Ta, Nat xx :D

id be interested in the response here. as i too have been thinking about using re-usable nappies :)

Your local council will have an incentive but it varies. Birmingham peeps get £30.

There's been loads of threads on this lately (look on products section for the longest!) so I won't go on about it here.

I'm happy to answer ANY questions though as I'm a nappy nerd! Just PM me

Zoe xx

i wouldnt recommend terries squares i found them difficult to get on with and too bulky in new borns, but i am now using pocket nappies and they are quite good

Hypnorm said:
i wouldnt recommend terries squares i found them difficult to get on with and too bulky in new borns, but i am now using pocket nappies and they are quite good

I just spoke with my neighbours who's baby is 8 weeks now. She bought the terry squares too. She has more or less stopped using them now because of the bulkiness being an issue and some leaking problems.

When you say pockets, do you mean like tots bots?

Im going to be using cloth nappies when my baby comes. Im using the little lamb ones, they are currently doing a deal where you get a birth to potty pack for £199, which is really good as you get 40 nappies (20 size 1 & 20 size 2) and 20 wraps, plus loads of extras.As Minxy said there is LOADS on cloth in the thread in baby products.

Try and get in touch with your local council first to see if they do any incentive schemes for cloth nappies. they usually do discounted trial packs or give you a voucher towards buying the nappies.
here is the trial pack i get from my council, it costs £15 but only £10 if your on benefits ( it costs about £50 altogether usually):

* mother-ease 'one size' nappy
* rainbow bots size 2 nappy
* wonderoo pocket nappy and terry insert
* junior joy cotton prefold
* mother-ease rikki wrap
* tots bots fleece wrap
* Nappy nippa
* Flushable Bio-Degradable Liners
* ‘Stinki Minki’ Wet Nappy Bag
* fleece liner

to find out if there is one near you, here is a link:
http://www.realnappycampaign.com/nappyfinder/index.html
it finds incentive schemes, and nappy shops near you.

hope this helps a little :D

Thanks so much for all the information, I'll be looking into it further as I have found an incentive scheme near me! :dance:

Thanks again x

I'm going to use cotton nappies too. I think I'm going for the one life pack I have a £50 voucher towards whatewver I get from the local gov. Just go to your local govt waste disposal section. lot's of people are saying that terries have faults, so go for shaped ones, although they are more expensive.

Even if the government incentive in your area is rubbish- the overall cost of any kind of reusable nappies, compared to using disposables for the whole time is SOOOOO much cheaper than the throw- away ones!
AND if you have more than one kid- the nappies do for the second one with minimal extra cost (theoretically no extra cost- but I'm about to have my second one, and just wanted to get one or two new nappy things).
I used shaped nappies with wraps. They're shaped like disposables, then you have a water-proof outer on top of that. Some people prefer all-in-ones, which are just a non-disposable variation on the normal disposable design- but a lot of people find that these have leak issues. I NEVER had a nappy leak (except disposables, away from home) with my last baby. But, especially for a newborn, square nappies that you have to fold up and pin or nippa to use sound like a nuisance- but they are extremely cheap!
Good luck in whatever you choose.

TM

ooo.. ive jus checked my site and we havea12 week free trial laundry service!

guess whos signing up for it today :)

Hypnorm said:

I'm the opposite here... I LOVE my square terries and only use my prefold nappies as a last resort. I know that here in SA, you buy smaller terries for newborns... not sure about UK.

I use Huggies at night.

Emilia xx

I use Fluffles shaped (Tots Bots) and we've never had leaks either- we still use disposables over night and if we go out for the day but other than that he's great in reuseables. I didn't get my head round it all until he was about 4 months though by which point the amount of nappy changes in a day had gone down quite a bit so if you find it hard to do it from the start then give it a go a bit later on when things are settled. They're going to be in nappies for a couple of years and it all helps (pocket as well as environment!).

+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back