Random nose bleeds

laura dec 1988

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if nose bleeds during pregnancy is normal. I've been trying to
call my midwife since 8 this morning to ask her. I woke up around 3am on boxing day morning with a bloody nose and since then i've had around 5 nose bleeds. :mad: Im 17 weeks and 4 days pregnant....if its not one thing its anouther eh :lol: lol

any one else experience this at all?

xx

I did have nosebleeds before I got my :bfp: but not really after. I think it's common enough but best to mention it to your Mw as well :)

i will. still not managed to get in touch with her :( but i'll check.

I have had random nose bleeds throughout all 3 of my pregnancies. One was a right gusher so i rang my midwife. She told me it was very common and nothing to worry about. If they get too regular and are super heavy i would try and contact the midwife xx

I've never had nose bleeds in my life and since i've been pregnant i've had loads. Midwife says its nothing to worry about though :) x

Hey,

Totally normal, I had them the whole way from 8 weeks preggo until about 32 weeks, whenever I had a shower I got a nose bleed as well as at bedtimes and in the morning.

MW said it was due to increased blood supply, check this out from babycentre.co.uk:

Is it common to get nosebleeds during pregnancy?

Yes, nosebleeds do tend to occur more often during pregnancy. Pregnancy can cause the blood vessels in your nose to expand, and your increased blood supply puts more pressure on those delicate vessels, causing them to rupture more easily. Although it's unpleasant and inconvenient, an occasional minor nosebleed is generally harmless.

You're especially likely to get a nosebleed when you have a cold, sinus infection, or allergies, or when the membranes inside your nose dry out, as they do in cold weather, air-conditioned rooms, airline cabins, and other dry environments. Trauma and certain medical conditions, such as high blood pressure or a clotting disorder, may cause nosebleeds as well.
How can I stop a nosebleed?

When your nose starts to bleed, sit down, keep your head higher than your heart, and put pressure on the bleeding nostril for five to ten minutes. (Use a watch — it's longer than you think.)

Using your thumb and the side of your bent index finger, firmly pinch the whole soft lower part of your nose and exert pressure toward your face. Don't let up for a second — even if you're getting very curious to see if the bleeding has stopped — because that could interfere with the coagulation process.

Applying ice can help, too, because it constricts blood vessels. Hold a cold pack or a bag of frozen peas over your nose and cheeks with the hand that's not pinching your nostrils closed. Don't lie down or tilt your head back: You might end up swallowing blood, which could cause nausea or even vomiting.

If the bleeding hasn't stopped after ten minutes of pressure and ice, continue for another ten minutes as long as you're not bleeding heavily. Consult your healthcare practitioner if the bleeding doesn't stop after 20 minutes of pressure.

Cleo xxx

hey thanks for ur advice :) especially you Cleo that really helped! finally got threw to my midwife who assured me its all fine :) xx

My nose bleeds nearly everytime i blow it now, seems so much more sensitive since ive been pregnant

my nose never bleed but my gums did everytime I brushed by teeth :hug:

iv had anouther one toady at work.....its a bloody nightmare!! id rather have the sickness back than this :( xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back