Rail Travel - Free Upgrade When Pregnant!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DebbieM, Nov 9, 2007.

1. DebbieM

DebbieM Well-Known Member

When travelling by train you are entitled to a free 1st class upgrade providing you have proof of pregnancy - for example, your NHS exemption card or your MATB1 form.

As part of "The National Conditions of Rail Travel" pregnant women are allowed to travel in 1st class on a standard rail ticket. :D

How cool is that!

2. BabyLove

BabyLove Well-Known Member

I Travelled From Leeds To South Wales a Few Weeks Ago & Parked My Arse In First Class By Mistake and Happily Stared Reading My Magazines Until a Ticket Man Came Along and Notified Me I Was In First Class. I Said To Him "Oh Sorry, Are There Any Tables I Can Sit At Somewhere Else?" and He Just Told Me Not To Bother Moving & To Stay Where I Was :D I Guess Now I Know Why Lol, Thats Great :)

3. Tangerinedream

Tangerinedream Well-Known Member

I did not know that... I paid the exrta £1 for my first class tickets :shakehead: :rotfl:

4. BabyLove

BabyLove Well-Known Member

£1? My God Thats Cheap! My Nan Buys My Tickets So I Can Visit The Family a Few Times a Year

5. laura-82

laura-82 Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo

Oxford Street here I come!!!!! :cheer: :cheer:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

6. Tangerinedream

Tangerinedream Well-Known Member

yeah, i buy mine online a week in advance so visit my mum in london in style :lol:

7. leckershell

leckershell Well-Known Member

...and I was lucky to even get a space when I was pregnant. I'm annoyed now that the ticket man never told me as I always had exemption ticket on me and I commuted every day :x

8. Squiglet

Squiglet Well-Known Member

Wow times have changed... !!!!! I remember when I was pregnant I was commuting from Farnborough to London several times a week and there were times where there were no seats available and I either had to stand or sit on the floor...

There were several times I just eneded up sitting on the floor because I had been standing for such a long time and my feet began to swell and hardly anyone ever gave their seat up for me...

:x :x :x :x

9. leckershell

leckershell Well-Known Member

This is how my commutes were sometimes. If the platform was particularly busy I would try and ask a guard to help me thru the crowd and make sure I get a seat, but even then there wasn't always a guard around to help, and the looks I got off the other passengers... :(