Quiting with Help ?

lisa31

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Just wanted to know if anyone else out there used anything to help you stop smoking.

I have stopped for a month and half now - using the losenges. My doctor did say I could use the patches, but when I came on here I noticed some girls had used the lozenges - so I decided to try those too.

I know that some doctors do not agree with it when others do? what has been your experience?????

I'm not happy using lozenges but I knew I would continue to smoke if I didnt get any help with it. In a perfect world, I would of stopped before I fell Pg - but like any addict will tell you - its easier said than done.

I have now reduced down to the lower dose losenges and will come off them soon - has anyone got any good advice for me to do that - as already I feel like I will need them?

Thanks for reading

L x

I meant to say I decided to use the losenges INSTEAD of the patches!!
(I didnt use both!)

Pregancy brain strikes yet again..............
:?
L x

I have tried to get the patches at the docs but he said I can't have them when pregnant as its not safe, I tried to say to him it can't be any worse than me smoking but he wouldn't change his mind.

Hi Twinkle

Thanks for the reply - it was quite a while since I did that post.

I think the problem doctors have is the not knowing. There still hasnt been any conclusive evidence that it is more harmful to use nicotine replacement than it is to smoke whilst pregnant.

Doctors do vary I think - when I needed a repeat prescription for them - one doctor said i couldnt have them, yet my normal doctor said yes. I wasnt happy using them but in my mind smoking is worse as you are breathing in 100's of other poisons as well as the nicotine.

I just hope and pray that I havent done my unborn baby any harm by using them. But I know I have also tried to give her the best start in life and that is by me not smoking and not smoking around her when she is a baby.

What did you do in the end? Did you go cold turkey?

L x

I think docs say its not safe as you still get nicotine and they prefer you to go cold turkey - but to be honest - I think its a damn site better than smoking! so if you need them to help you quit then why not?

I know it was a while ago but if I do ever get an urge I eat some chewing gum - that normally kills the urge off. xx

I went for a quit smoking session last week and was told not to use patches, but gum or lozenges were okay and better than smoking as it reduces the number of chemicals you are introducing to your system and also the tar.

The lady I spoke to didn't give any clues as to how to quit chewing/sucking the gum/lozenges.

My OH is going for a session today and we plan to quit at the w/end. I'm feeling pretty anxious about it.

And Lisa, don't worry too much. Smoking is bad for baby, but most likely she'll be fine. Don't forget that it used to be quite normal for women to smoke when pregnant and most of us are fine as a result.

Well Im still smoking at the moment don't think I can face it cold turkey so might try the gum but I will have to make sure Im really ready.

So have you all given up now or have you went back to smoking, I stopped the first 3 and half months of pregnancy then started again thinking I could just have one but now Im back to my usual habit.

Thanks girls, you havent half made me feel a bit better. Im not pleased with myself using the losenges and plan to come off them next week. Like the smoking, Im not going to cut down cos that puts me in a bit of a panic so Im just going to stop.

Skidoo, what you said put my mind at rest a bit thanks x - You will be fine when you come to do it. You need to stay strong and be really proud of yourself - I'm around most of the weekend if you need to vent off some frustration :shock: (I know how it is - I was going through it 2 months ago) - but I promise its not too bad, once you actauly start doing it.

Skidoo and Twinkle - I would recommend the losenges - you can take up to 15 per day, but I never had more than 9 - and I was a 30-a-day cigarette girl previously. They are good because they last for over half an hour and they definately take the 'edge' of the withdrawal. Even my D/H has stopped using them and I never thought he would be able to stop. I found with chewing gum that I would get sore cheeks from manically chewing! found that with losenges they stay in your mouth very comfortably and your not constantly chewing.

Oh, by the way I dont work for Niquitin CQ lol ! - its just that I found they worked very well. Worth getting on prescription too as they are £8.99 a pack - my D/H keeps saying it was cheaper to smoke - lol -but think of this as the inital outlay - in the very near future you will spend thousands less and have more years to live! :lol:

L x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back