questions to those who measured bigger in pregnancy

Melly+2

Reaction score
Hey, im in a calmer mood now so i thought id ask a few questions, if everyone doesnt mind.
I want for a midwife appointment today and am measuring 35cms, should only be 30. Last time midwife didnt measure me with the tape measure but she 'guessed' at 29 cms, that was a week ago. Im a little scared and shocked really by it all, how its changed. Im now going to see the consulatant tomorrow at the hospital and dont know what to expect.

I was wondering if anyone else has been through this and could educate me as to what they did and how did things turn out.

Sorry im so full of questions today i know people are telling me not to worry, id just like to hear some stories :hug:

I had a growth scan at about 30 weeksish as my first was only 5lb 11oz.

They estimated a whopping 11lb for Esmes weight at term, I had asked not to know but then looked at my chuffing notes :wall: I felt :puke: at the time even though I knew it was a guestimate and looking up on here/asking how peoples expierience had been (just like you are doing now!!)

I saw the Head consultant at our hospital who told me not to worry, saying baby will be rather large but prob not that extreame (he wouldnt give me an estimate weight).

My fundel height was all over the place too and depending on what person looked at me everyone had a different opinion on it being a big baby or not :? (professional wise midwife, sonographer,obs Drs stc not the fooking idiots in the street who give you random comments :lol: )

Esme popped out a reasonable 8lb 5.5oz, larger than my son but not vag breaking and I didnt get a tear or graze fortunatley :cheer:

Try not to panic and take what they say with a pinch of salt unless of course they state there is cause for worry and have some of these :hug: :D

I measured big from about 28 weeks onwards, I saw had a growth scan at 36 wks where they told me she was already 7lbs, I then saw the consultant at 38 weeks, he didn't seem concerned despite my size (I am 5' and a size 6-8) and despite the fact that everyone else was concerned! He said we would aim for spontaneous labour and reassess at 40 weeks. I went into labour the nxt day so don't know what would have happened! Ella was born at 38+1 weighing 7lb13, so I think the weight estimate was fairly accurate.

My MW did tell me that 3 people could measure your fundal height and all hget diff measurements according to tightness of tape etc. Also there are many people who believe that fundal height is all voodoo nonsense! :rotfl:

I was constantly measuring 2-3cm above. Becky was born 7lb 13oz at 39+5. One of my friends was also huge for dates - she was told her LO measured something ridiculous at 34 weeks and he was born at 42 weeks weighing a whopping 7lb 12oz.

i was measuring big from 20 weeks by 30 weeks i was 12 weeks in front, Hannah was born at 35+5 weighing 10lb 4oz

I measured consistently 4-5cm bigger than dates from when my mw started to measure me, so around 28 weeks. They sent me for a growth scan at 29 weeks and estimated she weighed 4lb 2oz at that stage and could reach 10lb at term :shock: Needless to say I was a little worried by it at first but then they told me that even scans have a 20% margin of error so an 8lb baby could actually be as little as 6lb or as big as 10lb :wall: so not actually THAT accurate really and quite pointless :roll:

After that I relaxed a little, despite still coming up 5cm too big on all future fundal height measurements. My first baby had been 8lb 14oz so I was kinda expecting one of a similar if not slightly bigger size and just made my peace with it. On my final mw appointment at 39 weeks she measured me at 45cm :shock: and guessed that baby weighed about 9.5lb then so would be around 10lb if I gave birth on EDD :talkhand: As it happened Eden arrived at 40+2 weighing just 8lb 6oz so none of their measurements/scans were anywhere near :lol:

Try not to worry too much hun, fundal height measurements are notoriously dodgy and 3 different midwives measuring you on the same day might get all completely different numbers, it is only intended as a rough guide and not set in stone. Some will measure from the top of your pubic bone, others from the bottom, and some will pull the tape so it stretches slightly, others will have it slack...it really is a bit hit and miss tbh. Other things can affect it too, like the volume of water or position of baby. A breech baby will measure a good 2/3 cm bigger than a cephalic baby as they dont sit so far down in your pelvis. Just try to relax, Im sure everything will be fine :hug:

I was always measuring 3/4 cm bigger than my dates, Charlie was born at 40+4 weighing 7lbs 13oz, I figure your stomach has to be relatively flat in the first place to get an accurate measurment. Lets say mine wasnt!! Dont worry about it, its such a unprecise science.

lisa282 said:
I measured consistently 4-5cm bigger than dates from when my mw started to measure me, so around 28 weeks. They sent me for a growth scan at 29 weeks and estimated she weighed 4lb 2oz at that stage and could reach 10lb at term :shock: Needless to say I was a little worried by it at first but then they told me that even scans have a 20% margin of error so an 8lb baby could actually be as little as 6lb or as big as 10lb :wall: so not actually THAT accurate really and quite pointless :roll:

After that I relaxed a little, despite still coming up 5cm too big on all future fundal height measurements. My first baby had been 8lb 14oz so I was kinda expecting one of a similar if not slightly bigger size and just made my peace with it. On my final mw appointment at 39 weeks she measured me at 45cm :shock: and guessed that baby weighed about 9.5lb then so would be around 10lb if I gave birth on EDD :talkhand: As it happened Eden arrived at 40+2 weighing just 8lb 6oz so none of their measurements/scans were anywhere near :lol:

Try not to worry too much hun, fundal height measurements are notoriously dodgy and 3 different midwives measuring you on the same day might get all completely different numbers, it is only intended as a rough guide and not set in stone. Some will measure from the top of your pubic bone, others from the bottom, and some will pull the tape so it stretches slightly, others will have it slack...it really is a bit hit and miss tbh. Other things can affect it too, like the volume of water or position of baby. A breech baby will measure a good 2/3 cm bigger than a cephalic baby as they dont sit so far down in your pelvis. Just try to relax, Im sure everything will be fine :hug:
Yeah she did mention that breech babies measure bigger, this ones not breech, i think i may have another big bubba on my hands lol

I can only remember measuring 45 at 38 weeks (i think) and got sent for a growth scan, told me baby was 8lbs 6oz roughly so I was expecting a 9lber which is average for my family but I went 5 days overdue and gave birth to Aaliyah, 11lbs 2oz.

I agree the scans are crap!

with this pregnancy ive been measuring 2-3 weeks bigger but i did with my 1st too and she was only 7lb 10oz at 41+2
A friend of mine was the oppisite she was measuring 4 weeks behind she went for a scan ect and all was measuring normal for her dates baby was born weighing 10lb 1oz at 38weeks

I was measuring at least 3cm's bigger from about 28 weeks or so. i was sent for a growth scan at 37 weeks (measuring 40 at the time) and was told that baby was 7lb 1oz at that point and so to expect a 8 - 8.5lb baby if I go full term and maybe up to 9lbs or more if I go overdue.

I had a midwife appointment the day I started my latent phase of labour and I was measuring 42 weeks and when the MW felt my tummy she said baby was at least 8lbs

She was born 3 days before her due date and only weighed 6lbs 10.5oz so goodness knows how she managed to loose weight in the three weeks since the scan!!!

Just goes to show that even scans can be wrong!

I measured about 3 weeks ahead with Aimee and she was 8lb 11oz and with Nathan i measured 5-6cms ahead. They did sent me to get checked but after the doctor had a good feel they decided that I didn't need a scan, he was big but not too big. He was born at 9lb 5oz so quite accurate I suppose.

I always measured ahead too (except once, when I measured exactly the right size for my dates!) and Miss Evie was a tiddy 6lb 13oz (at 2 weeks overdue!!)

xx

I measured ahead for both, and ended up with a 10lbs 10oz baby first time, and a 10lbs 1oz baby second time.

Then you get other mothers who end up with small babies despite measuring big throughout pregnancy.

You really won't know until the birth, but your body will cope with whatever size baby comes out, so don't worry :)

I was always measuring large for dates from 28 weeks when they first measured me i measured 45 weeks at 39, I was shitting myself cause i watched britains biggest babies and expected a 13lber but had Lyla and she was 9lb 2oz and measured quite long (23 inches).
dont read too much into it just cause your measuring big doesnt mean theres a 13lb bruiser heading your way could be waters, the way the baby is lying, bit of extra weight on you theres plenty of reasons as to why.

No its not fluid, had a scan to check yesterday, we just have a whale child :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back