Question for unmarried mums and mums-to-be....?

Two

Reaction score
I was just wondering what surname you have or are planning to give your child/children.

I am living with my b/f and are extremely happy. We will, one day, get married but until then I am still not sure what surname to give our first child. I will feel a little left out if I am the only one in our little family that has a different surname - not that it should make a difference and when we get married that will change but what if we don't..! On the other hand I he is the father and if we are planning to get married why not give the baby his name now rather than having to change it at a later date - I change my mind daily..... :think:

Anyone else in a similar position?

Cheers,
Karen x

I live with my bf and weve not immediate plans to get hitched so were giving baby both our surnames, as i'm doing all the hard work (hes "work" was over after our fumble :lol: )i think its only fair she has my surname aswell as hes :D

Me and the mister will be getting married in a year or so, baby will have his name :)

baby will be having my OH's surname, we aren't married and i do feel a bit odd having a different name to him and baby, but his name is better than mine :rotfl: and one day he might pop the question, i very much doubt it though, i think the expense puts him off :rotfl:

I'm married but haven't changed my last name. The baby will have my husband's last name mainly because it's shorter and easier to pronounce than mine. I'm a teacher so I've come across all sorts of variations of kids last names. I think the worst was a teenage girl with a double first name (both quite long complicated words) and a double last name (again both quite long words). The whole name didn't fit on the school register. One of the other teachers said it amounted to child abuse.

I am married but did not change my name. We are giving the baby my husband's last name (because I like it more than mine!) and mine as a middle name. They could also be used as two last names in "Hilary Rodham Clinton" fashion if he/she likes at some stage :D

I'm not married or engaged - in fact my OH is still married to his Ex as he can't afford the divorce yet (this really winds me up and has caused loads of rows!).

So I'll be double barrelling the surnames - mine first, then his.

I want the same surname as my child so the way I see it I'm compromising by double barelling. We never really discussed it but when we talk baby names I always put the double barrelled ending on. I think if the baby is a boy my OH will want him to have his surname but unless he pops the question, it isn't going to happen.

also forgot to mention that as we'll be double barrelling surname, the baby isn't being given a middle name.
Otherwise I just think it'll be too long

We got married when I was 15 weeks pregnant, but prior to that, the plan was to give the baby my OHs surname, as we knew we were going to get married at some point anyway (we organised the whole thing in three weeks!)

I didn't like the idea of having a different name to my baby (one of the reasons we brought the wedding forward) but didn't want to double barrel as I don't have any contact with my natural father, so had no desire to pass his name on to my child in any way.

One thing to think about though - my stepsister gave her son a double barrel surname as she and her OH were unmarried. They finally got hitched when my nephew was 8, and now he has a different surname to both of his parents as my stepsister took her OH's name. So basically, if you're planning to get married at some point, maybe just use your OH's name - you could always change yours by deed poll (another option I considered) in the meantime, or give your surname as a middle name as others have suggested - this used to be quite common in the past, and is a nice way of passing on both family names.

i was unmarried when DS was born we gave him fiances surname and we got married since, saved changing all his name on things as well as changing mine!! thats such a hassle!

My daughter has my fiances last name and so will this one.

We are going to plan the wedding after this one though so wont be long untill we all have the same name

hi, im not married or engaged either but our baby will have my partners surname, we are planning to get married in a year or so, so we will all have the surname eventually. It doesnt bother me that i wont have the same surname until then.

We're not married and have no plans to get married, but we are going to give the baby his name. His family name isn't very common and mine is. And I want my child to have their fathers surname. I don't mind having differnt name to them. Whether that will change when they are going to school, well, we will have to see.

louears said:
baby will be having my OH's surname, we aren't married and i do feel a bit odd having a different name to him and baby, but his name is better than mine :rotfl:

Same here! Me and the OH aren't married yet (getting married in summer 2010), our daughter has his surname, simply because I prefer his! :lol: I do feel a bit left out sometimes, I might change my surname by deed poll before we get hitched if I can be bothered but it doesn't really bother me!

Hello ladies. I am new to tri 2 and am an unmarried mummy to be!

My OH and me decided to double barrell the baby's surname - so he/she will be baby Wilson-Baker. My surname first - just because we think it sounds better!

Not giving him/her a middle name, dont want it to be too long!

Were not married yet... and LO got OH's surname, were engaged... and would be married if I pulled my finger out and arranged something!!

We are engaged and planning on the wedding next year.. So bambino will be taking his name! saves changing things later! :D

We both have weird surnames so either is going to be difficult to have a name that suits! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back