question about our nursery

valleygirl24

Reaction score
I was originally hoping to have a completely 'humphreys corner' themed nursery, but with having just bought the house and all our spare money already accounted for I think its going to work out very expensive so Im looking for ways to keep the costs of it down. Im planning on painting the room green and yellow (green on bottom and yellow on top half) and and keeping things as plain as possible with just a few humphrey things -got pics for the walls, planning on a mural (which I want on canvas so I can keep it) and I plan on buying a humphrey blanket for the bed (Im also cross stitching an afghan blanket with humphrey on it) and will probably look for some stuff in the sale after xmas (begrudge £50 for a quilt cover etc) but in the meantime I am stuck for bedding ideas. All the cot bumpers etc I have seen so far seem to be themed whereas I want a plain one. Has anyone seen them around?
Also any ideas where I can buy other nursery things that may match humphreys corner?

have you looked on Ebay chick?

We went with the Gingerbread theme from mamas and papas and it was v expensive but i put gingerbread into an ebay search and loads of stuff came up including stuff like a plug socket and wall light switch with the pattern on that someone had made and a couple of plaques. They were really really cheap too. :D

id stick Humphrey in an ebay search and see what happens....

I got a cream one from Asda was £25 originally down to £15. In a bedding bale which is fairly plain in cream.
I think co-ordinated nurseries are nice but in all honesty its alot of money for something you will propably change in a year or two when bubs is a little boy or girl

We have fallen for the safari friends theme from Toys r Us but as you say its so expensive to buy all the stuff - they wanted £69 for a quilt and bumper (and you cant use the quilt till LO is 1). We have painted the room cream and have got the border and did buy the bumper and changing mat in Safari Friends - have decided to go for Navy curtains and light shade as they will last him longer hopefully. I have a search set in Ebay and have got a mobile in safari friends for £10 so far - check most days to see if anything new comes on. With relation to the bedding think we are going to just get nice coloured blankets that match the colours in the border which should co-ordinate and be much cheaper........

His furniture is off ebay too - although we have got him a new mattress - it was pale blue and white but needed to be repainted - Dave did a wonderful job and sanded it all down and repainted - its now more of a tourquise which matches the border perfectly..... Would like to find navy cot blankets but dont seem to be able to find them anywhere!!

This week I have won a rug off ebay that is like new and still had the label with the £50 price tag - we got it for £7.50 :D Originally I was gutted that things started to get tight just as we needed to sort out his nursery but now I am so chuffed - his room will look gorgeous and it wont have broken the bank :D Somehow it feels really special when we get a bargin :D

I will post some pictures when we get the border up and sort out the curtains.

Jane x

Thanks girls, I went on ebay last night and bidded on a couple of cot bumpers and quilt covers but have so far been outbid on most of them grrrrrrr
although I did win on a grobag that I seen on there. Its the grobag jungle friends one in 0-6 months and I got it for £7 inc postage so Im quite impressed with that

Valleygirl - have you ever tried any of the auctionsniper type sites? That's how I bid on ebay - you have to put the price you are prepared to pay and they will drop your bid in at the last moment - it stops people bidding up before the auction ends.... Not great if you are a seller - which I do but as a buyer I find it works really well - you just have to decide what you are happy paying for an item..... PM me if you want to know more :D

It does take a bit of work to get a bargin on ebay but I think its worth it in the end.

Jane x

Woohoo just managed a fab bargain but knowing my luck now Ill win on all the other bits on there lol

Had the full humphrey set (albeit an old design but it matches the curtains Ive had from SIL) for £40 on a buy it now and £5 postage. Was going to play the waiting game and see if I could get it cheaper but I didnt want to risk not getting them. Admittedly Ive now got a spare set of curtains but I think my window is much wider than the curtains so Im going to try and adapt it with the two sets of curtains.
Further info on the sniper thing would be good

You can always put the extra things you dont need now back on ebay and get some money back, i love ebay we have bought sooo much stuff from ebay for the baby also car boots are fantastic :D

I havent bought a cot bumper etc as yet as been advised by numerous people that you shouldnt use one until baby is at least 6 months old........so will buy the bumper and other fancy stuff later on.

In our theme I have just bought:

Curtains
Nappy Stacker
Cot Tidy (fixes to outside)
Wall stickers
Border
Night Light
A couple of blankets.......
Rug

Looks like we will be moving now soon after LO is born, so feel its all been a bit of a waste of time as LO will be in a moses basket in our room for a while and then we will be moving :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back